Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: Gentlemen: I too have inherited an old Drilling shotgun

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    8

    Gentlemen: I too have inherited an old Drilling shotgun

    Mine is a 16 gauge side by side with an 8.9mm x 72 rifle below. Attached are pics of the proof marks. I am interested in the manufacture location- Suhl? and approximate date if that is knowable. My limited research leads me to think 1910-1912. But I now wish to learn from the experts. Any help is much appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    553
    Yes, manufactured in Suhl w/ the tubes being sourced from the Schilling forge and the tube worked from there noted. 9mm, larger diameter being 8,9mm, for a steel metal jacketed bullet of 13 grams.

    Cheers,

    Raimey
    rse

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by ellenbr View Post
    Yes, manufactured in Suhl w/ the tubes being sourced from the Schilling forge and the tube worked from there noted. 9mm, larger diameter being 8,9mm, for a steel metal jacketed bullet of 13 grams.

    Cheers,

    Raimey
    rse
    Thanks for the confirmation. Are there any clues to who the manufacturer was? or the dates?

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    East Alabama
    Posts
    1,731
    TGM,
    Your drilling was made after 1911, when they started showing the bore( not groove or bullet) diameter in mm, but before the early to middle 1920s, when Suhl started marking the proof date. There is no way to know who made it with only the images provided. We may never know, many such guns were made "for the trade", and mot marked as to maker or seller. The nominal caliber of the rifle is 9.3x72R and the shotgun has 65mm(2 1/2-2 9/16") chambers, rather than the current standard 70mm ( 2/3/4"). Ammo is currently available for both the rifle and shotgun.
    Mike
    Last edited by mike ford; 08-14-2017 at 08:28 PM.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by mike ford View Post
    TGM,
    Your drilling was made after 1911, when they started showing the bore( not groove or bullet) diameter in mm, but before the early to middle 1920s, when Suhl started marking the proof date. There is no way to know who made it with only the images provided. We may never know, many such guns were made "for the trade", and mot marked as to maker or seller. The nominal caliber of the rifle is 9.3x72R and the shotgun has 65mm(2 1/2-2 9/16") chambers, rather than the current standard 70mm ( 2/3/4"). Ammo is currently available for both the rifle and shotgun.
    Mike
    Thanks that is very helpful. I have attached a few more pictures for your review. There is engraving on the receiver, and an interesting ammunition holder on the top of the stock also under lever if that helps. Any additional thoughts or directions for more research resources are appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    553
    It is a Roux action dreiling & there many be a clue on the frame or standing breech but these were made to be used and never a thought was given to someone wanting to know the maker 100 years later. Marks exist for compensation & liability & there may exist elsewhere on the sporting weapon.

    Cheers,

    Raimey
    rse

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    East Alabama
    Posts
    1,731
    TGM,
    Your drilling is a more or less standard design, for the time, and it looks very much like a Gebr. Rempt I had 50 years ago. I suggest you check very closely for the word "Remo", which was their trademark. If you find the trademark, it is a Gebr.Rempt, if you don't find it, it doesn't mean anything.
    Mike

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by mike ford View Post
    TGM,
    Your drilling is a more or less standard design, for the time, and it looks very much like a Gebr. Rempt I had 50 years ago. I suggest you check very closely for the word "Remo", which was their trademark. If you find the trademark, it is a Gebr.Rempt, if you don't find it, it doesn't mean anything.
    Mike
    Thanks Mike. I will look closely and see what I can find.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    8

    additional marking

    Quote Originally Posted by TGM View Post
    Thanks Mike. I will look closely and see what I can find.
    I did find an additional marking- H S on the rifle barrel. Any thoughts on what that might be?

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    East Alabama
    Posts
    1,731
    TGM,
    Raimey identified the Schilling Forge mark, because it is a recognized mark. Many other minor marks were placed by different workers and served to show work performed, for both payment and responsibility purposes. There was no "log" for these marks and so many names were similar that there is no practical way to identify them now. I suspect the H S falls into that category.
    Mike

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •