M71 Mauser Schuetzen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M71 Mauser Schuetzen

The photos below are from an M71-style target rifle that I got at an auction. It was billed as a 9.5x47R, but it clearly isn't. The length from the front of the bolt handle to the front of the bolt is about 2.5 cm. I'd appreciate hearing any points of interest that someone can offer.

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 3 photos.

Thomas,
    You are correct, the rifle is not a 9.5x47R, rather it is clearly chambered for the well known 8.15x46R. The 7.6 mm is the bore ( not groove or bullet) diameter and the 46 is the case length. Whether the case is rimmed or rimless was not normally shown by the proof marks, but would be obvious from the rifle itself. Your rifle was proofed in Zella-Mehlis during July 1927 (7.27), under ledger # 308. The 7.6mm bore is small for the 8.15x46R but was very common. Also the rifle has a safety whereas not all such rifles did. This means you could hunt with it, if you wanted to and the stock is suitable ( no photo shown). However, 8.15x46R would only be sufficient for smaller game, up to small whitetail at close range. Ammo is available with some searching, but the easiest source is to load your own. If you want to do this, there are several of us here that would be happy to help.
    Mike

Comment

Thanks! I'm tooled up for 8.15x46R. I appreciate your help.

Comment

Thomas,
        Great, have fun.
        Mike

Comment

Working...
        X