How to register for the forum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to register for the forum

To register for the forum, read the yellow banner on the main page, then send us a user name and a password to sales@germanguns.com

Hello All:

My father has a German SXS that someone pawned to him in 1978. We have kept it in a closet in a silicone gun sock with our other guns. As my son has grown old enough to hunt/ shoot , he has taken a real interest in such things. in doing my research, the gun may have been made in the late 1800's by what appears to be " L. Brun(r) , Braunschweig" when I google this, it comes up with ' G.L. Rasch Bruanschweig' which has a very extensive and exciting history. Can any of you take a look at these photos and tell me if this is something of value or not? thanks Chuck B20150131_181938_resized_1.jpg20150131_181954_resized_1.jpg20150131_182102_resized_2.jpg20150131_182209_resized.jpg20150131_182312_resized.jpg please let me know any thoughts

Comment

ChuckB,

NICE engraving on a rather commonplace "guild gun". = Your son will be WELL-served imvho by HUNTING with this shotgun.
      (While NOT particularly RARE, it is likely BETTER quality than any replica that can be afforded by a middle-class person in 2018. - THINK of it as a FOX DB or "Field Grade" Parker, which is good quality but NOT so much a "thing of great value" that a teenaged boy should NOT hunt with it.)

Fwiw, I hunted as a teenager with a DB, 12 bore A.H. Fox, less the Germanic engraving, of about the same quality & many a bunny, dove, duck, quail, fox, coyote & squirrel fell to its roar. = That DB is now about 80 years old & my 26YO nephew received it for his birthday some 5 years ago.
      In the event that he has a child, I hope that when I'm dead & gone that that future child will enjoy its use as much & "make as many fond memories" as I did, "when I had custody of it".

yours, tex
      "VICTORY OR DEATH"

William Barrett Travis, LtCol, comdt.
      Fortress of the Alamo, Bejar
      F'by. 24, 1836

Comment

ChuckB,
        Please make your son aware that the SxS has Damascus barrels, and 2 1/2" chambers rather than 2 3/4", so he can buy ammo appropriate for the likely black powder proofed gun.

Mike

Comment

ChuckB; Mike Ford,

Chuck, Mike makes an excellent point. - BEFORE you have a problem, have a gunsmith inspect the DB carefully.

I may have Damascus barrels & it may NOT. = LOTS of early smoothbores had steel barrels & a "decorative Damascus finish". - It easily could be either.

Reference the length of chambers, it MAY be 2.75 OR 2.5 inch chambers as BOTH lengths were made then.
          (IF the bottom of the barrels is stamped 70mm it will LIKELY accept 2.75" shells.)

That uncertainty is WHY the shotgun needs to be inspected by a qualified gunsmith, for safety's sake.

yours, tex
          "VICTORY OR DEATH"

William Barrett Travis, LtCol, comdt.
          Fortress of the Alamo, Bejar
          F'by. 24, 1836

Comment

Working...
          X