New Member from Texas with questions about a Drilling shotgun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Member from Texas with questions about a Drilling shotgun

Hi everyone. This is my first post here. I am retired Air Force. My Father was with the 3rd infantry division throughout WWII. North Africa, Sicily, Anzio, Southern France, Munich, Berchestgarden. He brought back a few souvenirs. One is a Drilling Shotgun I have that I am trying to find out more about. I am especially interested in determining its value for insurance purposes. Anyone who can help would be greatly appreciated. I have developed a webpage that has 22 pictures of the weapon. https://drillingshotgun.shutterfly.com/. Please take a look if interested. Thanks.

tgeorgelas,
    I saw your posting yesterday, but didn't reply, hoping John Laborde or Axel would pipe in concerning the particular safety, and whether it also works as the barrel selector; and, if so, how it operates. Since neither have replied, I will address other matters, as best I can. You will have to bear with me, since you included the photos on a separate link, I can't scroll back and forth while addressing the different items. As far as it's value is concerned, I never estimate the value of someone else's gun, that I don't have "in hand". I suggest you look on the internet sites that advertise drillings for sale at a "fixed price", or actual sell price on auction sites. Be careful about those that are shown on auction sites, that have not sold, they are often listed with minimum price that is unreasonably high, therefore will not sell. There is one such drilling that has been there since the first day, I learned to turn the computer on. Every time the time expires, it is relisted. The problem you have, is the same as anyone you would have, is finding one listed that is similar enough to yours, that it's price would be a reasonable approximation of the value of yours. There are people that advertise they will provide estimates for a fee , often a percentage of the estimated value. If course , this leads to an incentive to make a high estimate. As an insurance estimate, this may be acceptable, whereas it might not be, if you wanted to sell it. As I recall, the drilling is chambered for the 65mm long 16 ga. shells; this is shorter than the current standard 70mm ( 2 3/4" vs 2 1/2- 2 9/16"). I recall also the right barrel is cylinder bore, but the left is choked, by some unknown amount. This is shown by the crown W on the left barrel, but not the right. The 7.6, on the rifle barrel, is the bore( not groove or bullet) diameter. The lack of a case length precludes easy identification of the nominal caliber. This ,together with the presence of the proof load, indicates it was proofed around 1911-12; therefore made around then. While a little tight, the 7.6 indicates the rifle is likely chambered for one of the smaller 8mm cartridges. While it is technically possible it is chambered for 8x57IR, it is much more likely to be chambered for one of the 8mms based on the "360 case". Likely candidates would be cartridges such as 8x57R/360, 8x48R, 8x58R, 8.15x46R, etc. It was proofed for a steel jacked bullet, so the cartridge would have been one available with that bullet. Unless your family has a cartridge that was kept with the drilling, the way to identify the particular cartridge is by you making or having someone make a chamber cast. The drilling was marketed by Miller & Val. Greiss in Munich, but was made for them, by someone for them, likely in Suhl. I hope this is helpful and I hope others provide additional information.
    Mike
    Last edited by mike ford; 05-02-2017, 04:19 PM.

Comment

Mike, I really appreciate your indepth reply to my posting. It is really helpful. By the way, I did have a gunsmith make a chamber cast of the rifle barrel. He said it was a strange caliber too. Anyway, your suggestions for how to approach getting a reasonable value for insurance purposes are really going to help me get a figure I can use.
      Thanks
      Tim

Comment

Tim,
        Thanks for your comments. BTY, there are no "strange calibers" in German guns, they are opportunities for something different and challenges. If you want to shoot it, come back to this forum.
        Mike

Comment

Tim, welcome to the forum. Mike can figure things out with the best of them and he certainly is knowledgeable. Since you said that you have a chamber cast it would be helpful to get a few pictures of it posted here with the dimensions. A lot can be determined from that. RST makes 2-1/2" 16 gauge shells for the shotgunand will ship mail order. Check their site. Good luck with your drilling. Thanks, Diz

Comment

Thanks Diz. here is a pic of the chamber cast and a sheet of notes given to me by the armorer.IMG_3108.jpgIMG_3109.jpg

Comment

Tim, welcome to the forum. I love it when they left the knot in the butt in a place where it does no harm. Dad left you a nice piece.

My resources are not as thorough as I'd like them to be. From the dimensions you posted the closest I could find is the 8 X 57R/360. Fairly decent old cartridge and not one difficult to form. If Mike or Axel can't tell you how to form it and a starting load, it probably can't be done.

Vic

Comment

Thanks for adding into this thread Vic. I am a true novice to this and wouldn't know where to begin about making ammunition. I am not sure what 8 X 57R/360 means other than 8 is probably mm. Is 57 as in 57 mm for length of brass casing?

Comment

tgeorgelas,
                  From the photo and dimensions, there is no doubt that your drilling is chambered for 8x57R/360, as Vic said. I happen to also have a drilling in this chambering. I use original berdan primed brass in mine, but more available cases can be used, instead. The "school solution" is to use shortened 9.3x72R cases necked down to 8mm. I have also made cases from original length 38-55 Win. cases. They are a little bit short( 2.125 vs. 2.250"), but after adjusting the rims, they work well. There are other useable cases also. This cartridge is intended for .318" bullets, but some may be able to use 32 Win. Spec.( .320-.321") bullets. The 360 in the name is because it is based on the English 360- 2 1/4" case.
                  Mike

Comment

tgeorgelas,

I believe that both Mike and Vic have correctly identified your chambering and this is a fairly easy one to make even for a novice. Attached is a drawing from one of my references for the 8x57R/360. There is plenty of knowledgable people here who can help you get started, all you have to do is ask.

Best of luck, Diz

8x57R3600001.jpg

Comment

Working...
                    X