X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Diz, will do.

Comment

Diz,
      I still haven't seen a clear photo of the bottom of the drilling, so I can't say whether it was re-fit or not; but the one photo that shows the bottom at an extreme angle, seems to show that it wasn't. In general, re fitting the barrels after installing a larger hinge pin, may or may not cause a problem as described. It depends on the surfaces the " action filer" or gunsmith chooses to work on, which further depends on his own experience and the particular problems he is addressing. He may elect to remove all the metal from the "hook" surface , which wouldn't move the barrels back and cause the problem. On the other hand, he may choose to fit the "hook" just to the increased diameter of the hinge pin( take metal only from top and bottom to make hook fit the pin, but move the barrels back) and do most of the fitting on the rear outside surface of the barrels. He may decide to do so because he would rather work on outside surfaces and "spot" them in to improve the fit between the barrel face and breech face, fit of locking lugs, or side clips; or he may just not like to work inside surfaces. Once this is completed, the barrels could have been moved back more that the tolerance in the rim recess, or less than the tolerance. Also one chamber may have more headspace ( tolerance) than the other, furthermore, if you check the fit with two shells, one may have a thicker rim than the other. I have had guns "drag" on closing, because of one unburned grain of powder trapped under the extractor. Consequently, we can't know what caused the problem, only from photos.
      Mike

Comment

I appreciate what you are saying, but I think my gunsmith, who restores many older double-guns and recently built a superb break-open rifle from scratch, will sort it out.

The extractor was removed and all metal surfaces thoroughly cleaned before I tested it, so we can surely eliminate that. Likewise, I tried different brand shells with different tolerances, but the "tighter" barrel (in regards to the rims), remained the tight one. The Drilling was made by Ludwig Borovnik of Ferlach in 1960, (serial number 40.XXXX), so I am sure it left the factory and the proof house in correct spec. Someone might well have done something with the hook or hinge pin or both. I have seen a couple of firearms from Ferlach made shortly after WW2 that had odd quality control issues. But I think that by 1960 that should have been sorted.

Comment

Have a look at the .228 monolithic bullets from Cutting Edge bullets https://cuttingedgebullets.com/228-60gr-fb-raptor and https://cuttingedgebullets.com/228-66gr-fb-solid

Comment

kurtvn, thanks for the link. I think these might be OK for target work but on game I am not so sure. A 66 grain bullet could certainly be driven hard out of a vH but the terminal results might be just a tiny hole through and through. The monolithic bullets are usually longer for weight and if Cutting Edge made a 77 grain HP it might be too long to stabilize. I didn't get to test the new Sierra 77 grain tipped bullet over the winter for expansion but for accuracy they are fantastic. The vom Hofe just won't die. Thanks, Diz

Comment

Kiwi Bloke, been six months and inquiring minds want to know how you are making out with your vH's. Hope all is well down under, Diz

Comment

Working...
              X