Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greetings and happy new year

Old 60 something curmudgeon from sunny Indiana
    im educating myself on Drilling as that has always been one of my dream guns and I'm finally in position to purchase one...and only one.

Welcome magyar, interesting handle. Yes sir, drillings are cool! Whatcha got in mid for one? And, a Happy new year to you as well.

Comment

Welcome magyar, and Happy New Year. Sixty something is still a young lad. Owning a drilling is a disease; once you get one, you want another one.
      Mike

Comment

Sharps,
        im trying to narrow down the possibilities...
        Thinking light weight for stalking and carrying all day...but a scope would be nice.
        There is a belgium guild gun that has me intrigued, 12/12/20 paradox...

Comment

magyar,
          If you want a lightweight drilling for stalking and carrying all day, a 12 ga. isn't what you need. An einstecklauf ( insert barrel) would be nice, but a scope is almost required. You didn't ask, but I suggest you search for a 16 ga, with 60cm ( 23 1/2", about) barrels and chambered for a mid-size 57mm rimmed case cartridge, such as 6.5x57R or 7x57R, and with a 4 or 6 x clear scope in either claw or swing mounts. A rimfire insert barrel is very handy, but they are usually removed before the drilling is sold; you would be "ahead of the game" if you find a drilling already prepped for one. If you find one that has a notch filed into the right hand shotshell extractor, it has likely been prepped. If you have to choose between an insert barrel and a scope, choose the scope, without hesitation. Fit one of the quick shortening slings ( GGCA has, or can get them in the proper width), and you will be ready to go. Ammo is available in the US and the fired cases are reloadable, using American Boxer primers and standard diameter bullets. Good luck,
          Mike
          Last edited by mike ford; 01-03-2021, 02:50 PM.

Comment

I have to agree with Mike. 12 bores are just too clubby and unwieldy feeling to me in addition to the extra weight. They simply cannot compare to the svelte 16 bore sized receiver. Don't be afraid of the 2 1/2 in. chambers. If you handload they're easily cut back from 2 3/4 hulls and Ballistic Products has a roll crimper that works in a jiffy. If you don't handload, they're available from RST and I think Cheddite.

I agree with Mike's rifle chambering as well. There's some unusual, interesting and fun rifle cartridges out there but almost all of them require some level of case forming. The Einstecklauf is also a nice addition, making an already versatile firearm even more versatile.

A 20 bore Paradox would be interesting in and of itself but I don't think I'd want it coupled with a 12 bore.
            Last edited by sharps4590; 01-03-2021, 12:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X