Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello im new and don't exactly know what im doing so be patient please. i just recieved this drilling as a family gift and am at a dead end to any information besides it was made in Germany. i have been in touch with Bob Beach from G&H.since it has Abecrombie and Fitch trademark in front of trigger guard. Bob researched the serial number 9409 as marked on the gun and it shows a rifle in the records with this serial number. From what ive seen on the web most guns imported and sold by A&F the name is simply stamped onto the barrel not intricately carved like this. Could it be possible it was a personal gun of one of the owners/employees of A&F? its a double 20 with a 7.5mm rifled barrel. hopefully you can get enough info from the photo's below. i will post more below. thanks in advance.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 5 photos.

A few more photo's
    This gallery has 5 photos.

Comment

One more where you can see the Abecrombie and Fitch Trademarked logo engraved in front of trigger
      This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

jimaiken
        Welcome, we are happy to have you with us. I have been having a little trouble with my computer and just now found your posting, sorry for the delay. You have a very interesting drilling. Of course A&F didn't make it , it was made in Germany for sale by them; as you know. While It may not be marked as such, I recognize the design as one developed by Franz Jaeger, who was the grandfather of our late founder Dietrich Apel. He lived and worked for some years in the US before returning to Suhl and developed professional relationships while here, likely including A&F. I had a difficult time seeing the proof marks, from which we glean information; but I can offer the following. The gun has 65mm( 2 1/2") 20 ga shotgun chambers, the actual bore diameter is 19 ga. The rifle barrel seems to chambered for 30-30 Winchester( the 7.5mm being the bore- not groove or bullet- diameter; and 52mm is the case length). The crown U is the marking for a "View Proof" , which is a detailed inspection, including verification of dimensions, after firing proof loads. The gun is Nitro proofed and the rifle is proofed for a 12 gram(185.2 grain) Km.G( copper jacketed bullet).
        These type proof marks started being used about 1911, so the drilling was made after then. The Suhl Proof House didn't start dating then until around 1922. This indicates, then that it was proofed sometime between 1911 and 1922.
        I could see some of the screws are not "pulled up". Whoever took it apart might not have known the screws are "clocked" and must go back into the same hole from which they came. German gunmakers typically marked the ends of their screws to ID the proper locations. The screws with no mark would belong on one side, and screws with one line would go on the other side. For any that had 3 in the set would have a x on the end. If the screws are turned into the wrong hole, the slots won't line up " fore and aft" and the engraving won't match up with the surrounding area. Screwdrivers should be ground or filed to fit the screw slots precisely. If you can post photos of the proof marks aligned for reading, maybe other information can be determined.
        In my opinion, you have a very nice drilling and you should be proud of it, for itself, in addition to the family value.
        Mike Ford

Comment

Working...
        X