Pre War German Drilling info please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pre War German Drilling info please

Finally had some time to get this old drilling cleaned up some and thought I would post for all and maybe gain some insight as to her heritage.
    This is another piece That my father returned with from WWII with.
    I do know that the shotgun chambers are 12 ga and that the barrels are 26 3/4 in in length.
    The rifle breech chamber is .434 non taper and shell chamber is reamed to a depth of 3.235 inch.
    Rifle is .356 and lands are .345.
    There is also a wood plug in the stock under the rest plate that I’m thinking is for covering lead balance weights?
    Pictures as follows.
    Attached Files

Additional Photos
    Also there has been quite an extensive repair to the forestock that was split at one time.
    Attached Files

Comment

ScatterHobo,
      Being computer illiterate , I am unable to "blow up" the photos to be able to read the markings, but there are some I recognize and some I can infer. The 12 ga. chamber will likely be the standard depth which was 65mm rather than todays standard 70mm( 2 3/4"). I can see enough of the bore( not groove or bullet) diameter mark to know it is 118,35. This diameter is expressed in gauge measurement and is often found on one of the various 9.3mm and some 9mm cartridges. This mark is most often found on barrels with a bore diameter of .358-.359". Considering the head diameter and chamber depth you found, together with the bore diameter; it is likely chambered for the 9.3x72R. Ammo is available, if this is correct. I see a crown W on one of the barrels. This means the barrel ( maybe both if the other is so marked)is choked , but the amount of constriction is not known. The shotgun barrels should also have crown S marks, meaning they were proofed for shot. The crown U under the two eagles show it underwent a view proof (a detailed inspection, including verification of dimensions) after undergoing the definitive proof. It has the proof load stamped on the left shotgun barrel, but I can't make it out. I think it was proofed with "rifle flake powder", which was a nitro powder. If you find the word Nitro written in block letters it was proofed in Suhl, if written in script it was proofed in Zella-Mehilis. It was likely made in or around the city it was proofed in. Since it has proof marks, it was proofed after April 1893, and since the bore diameter was shown in gauge measurement (118.35) it was made before 1912. I have never seen lead added to a drilling stock, but if a previous owner wanted to add some, there is no technical reason he couldn't do so. There are a couple logos on the left barrel, one of which I don't recognize( someone else likely will), I think the other is for Premium Krupp Barrel Steel. I can't read the name on the rib. Since it has two rear sights, it may have been sighted for two distances, two different loads, or for a slug. Insert barrels are adjustable, so this is not likely the reason. I hope you find this helpful, if you have any questions, I will try again.
      Mike

Comment

Mike.
        Thanks so much for your very knowledgeable response. The name on the rib is : Karl Kormes Leipzig, double dots over the o in middle name.
        I can’t fond a nitro word any where on the table or barrels. The word Prima is Obote the anchor symbol with a script F on the anchor on left barrel and a Z on the right. The W is only on the left barrel.
        Thanks again
        Bruce

Comment

Bruce,
          The double dot over the o is an umlaut. To get the same sound and spell it without the umlaut, the name would be Koermes. BTW, Leipzig is not the last name, it is the city in which Karl Koermes was located. Since you couldn't find the word "nitro", my guess about the powder in the unclear proof load mark is likely incorrect. Only the left barrel is choked then, this was common enough.
          Mike

Comment

Working...
          X