Finding ammo for old Drilling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finding ammo for old Drilling

I’m trying to find ammo for an old Drilling that my granddad left me. A local gunsmith didn’t have the correct shells, but took measurements and indicated that the correct rifle round was 9.3 x 70 Rmm, and the shotgun is 16 gauge, 2 9/16" shells. I am told that I can use 2 1/2" shotgun shells, but I would prefer to have at least 1 box of the "correct" ammo. Can anyone help me find these?

Thanks, Chip

2 1/2 in. hulls and loaded ammo you can purchase. Unless I'm mistaken you will have to make your 2 9/16. Personally...2 1/2 would get the nod.

Comment

2 1/2" shells are correct, the chambers are 65mm , which is 2.559" and between 2 1/2 and 2 9/16". Some call it one and others call it the other. To be technically correct, you would need a box marked 65mm ( the tolerances are such that any one of the three would be OK). The 9.3x70 would be a lot more problematic, if the drill is to have the correct markings. They can be easily loaded, using cases and bullets for 9.3x72R; but they would have the 72R headstamp. You might be able to find a cartridge,however, from a collector. Some American 16ga shells did used to be marked 2 9/16", maybe an ammo collector could help with a box of ammo, or at least an empty box. I think your grandfather would have been happy if you use the drilling, at least some.
      Mike
      Last edited by mike ford; 02-18-2013, 09:18 PM.

Comment

Kent cartridge company still loads the short 16 ga. shells. http://kentgamebore.com/english-load...a-english.html Look at the bottom of the barrel near the breach it should have the rifle caliber there. For example on my drilling it has 8x57 and 16/65 for the shotgun barrels.

Comment

P08,
          Your drilling was proofed in June 1944. Before the 1939 proof law went into effect, the calibers were not marked by the name they were usually called. In fact, before early 1893, the caliber may not be marked at all.
          Mike

Comment

Working...
          X