Unknown German drilling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unknown German drilling

I bought a 1921 drilling engrave boxlock 16 gauge over 8X57JR with horn trigger guard and buttplate. It was gold cocking indicators and a Greener side safety. The action is in grey like it was never blued Stock is a nice figured wood with a bullet trap. The frame is marked 677 Nitro proofed with a crown on top. Rifle barrel is marked STMG 15 U with a crown 7.8 mm with a 58 underneath. Shot gun barrels are marked 16 Nitro with an S and a U with crowns. Any thoughts as to why an expensive gun had no makers name on it ? It looks like a Merkel action with a dolls head and reinforced fences but there is n GM or Merco markings. The right shotgun barrel does not fire although it cocks.
    thanks
    Doug

Hello

Images? How did you conclude 1921? You are not describing a date code marking.

Peter

Comment

It says 5/21

Comment

Many pre-WWII, German firearms were not marked as to maker. I don't know why the maker from 103 years ago didn't mark it, there could be a myriad of reasons.

Comment

Thankyou. I thought perhaps of the economy at the time in Germany in the 1920s that the retailer didn't buy the gun

Comment

The gun was made "for the trade", which means it was made by a known manufacturer for a supplier or dealer to sell to the end user. The suppliers (like AKAH or Franconia Jagd, etc.) often applies their own name or has the manufacturer do it. Local gun shops may apply their own name, especially if they bought it in an unfinished state and finished it themselves, or they may not. This was, and is, a common way of doing business. We have similar system here (see Sears, Western Auto, etc.) except our law requires a name be applied. The lack of a name is not a sign of any lack of quality at all.
            Mike

Comment

Thankyou very much . I am going to have the stock refinished and the barrels reblued

Comment

Be sure you have the barrels rust blued, if at all. Hot "salts" bluing will degrade the solder holding the ribs on.
                Mike.

Comment

I have asked him to do a rust blue. Thanks
                  Doug

Comment

The trigger spring for the right 16 gauge barrel is broken. as per the attached . It s a Merkel action I believe on this drilling . Any idea where I can get a replacement one?
                    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                    This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Meinherr,
                      I suggest you contact one of the gunsmiths that advertise in the Trade Directory section of WAIDMANNSHEIL, such as Dutchman Wood Works or one of the others. I have no connection to any of them but like to support those that support us.
                      Mike

Comment

Thanks Mike

Comment

I want to bid on a Collath drilling made in Frankfort on the Oder 20 g over 8x72 R.which may be the 8.1X72Collath caliber.
                          The shotguns barrels are marked Wittner Excelsior but there is no N proof marks just a U with a crown on top and an eagle proof mark. The bores are scratched .
                          Does the modern 20 g shells fit although the chambers may be 2.5 inches ? Is this a black powder gun? . Gun is beautifully engraved and the wood and checkering is good.
                          Thanks
                          Doug

Comment

Doug,
                            It would be helpful if you post clear photos of all the barrel markings. Collath used its own series of nominal cartridges, early on, some of which matched common (before standardization) cartridges, and some didn't but were close. The GGCA has a special issue of DER WAFFENSCHMIED dedicated to Collath and its predecessor. This publication is very informative and is available for sale by contacting the "home office". Without checking, with my poor memory, I believe the 8.1x72 Collath is the same as the 8x72R.
                            Mike

Comment

Mie: Yes I have the book on Collath. and another Waldemanheil book on Collath. I think you are correct on the caliber too. I will see if I can get a better picture

Comment

Working...
                              X