Jos Zeller Dortmund Suhl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jos Zeller Dortmund Suhl

I am bidding on and O/U rifle 16 g 2 5/8 chambers over 8X57JR prewar made by Joseph Zeller in Suhl Does anybody have any info on him The receiver is engraved with coking indicators on the side with a bullet trap in the stock and a Zeiss scope on claw mounts
    Thanks
    Doug

Hello

01JosefZeller.jpg
    01JosefZeller1874.jpg
    01JosefZeller1914.jpg
    Flintenkalle's Lexikon gives the company was founded in 1835. Hardly by the Josef Zeller who opened in Dortmund in 1913, though. Maybe there was more than one Josef Zeller.

I am not sure the Zeller in Suhl and the Zeller in Dortmund/Paderborn were the same Zeller. Cannot tell you I know, though. But as you gave both Suhl and Dortmund in the thread title I chose to post above images. Please clarify if it says both Suhl and Dortmund on the gun.

Looking forward to seeing images.

Peter
    Last edited by algmule; 04-01-2024, 10:03 PM.

Comment

Hello

Josef/ph Zeller, Paderborn, passed in either 1906 or 1907. For some time before Josef's death a Hermann Zeller is listed in Paderborn. First as gun smith, later as retailer (well, Kaufmann really). Hermann Zeller was the one running the Zeller business in Dortmund when it opened in 1913-14.

EDIT: I believe I am in the wrong as to when gun smith Zeller passed. He may just have moved out of Paderborn. By September 1914 he was definitely not alive as there is mentioning of his widow withdrawing money from his bank account. In his name if my poor German is not deceiving me.

EDIT again: Joseph Zeller, rifle manufacturer, was awarded some prize at a dog fair in April 1910.

Peter
      Last edited by algmule; 04-03-2024, 01:33 PM. Reason: Poor German and poor memory!

Comment

The action says Jos.Zeller Dortmund Suhl

Comment

Hello

01Zeller.jpg

EDIT: I hope you buy it.

Peter

Comment

I have asked the auction house some questions on the bore nd proof marks and am waiting for a response

Comment

Hello

I have found a Jos[ef/ph] Zeller outlet in Suhl for the years 1919, 1920 and 1921.

Does anyone have the Deutsche J?ger-Zeitung (June 1932)?

EDIT: I gave the wrong month. Changed it from April to June. Sorry.

Peter
              Last edited by algmule; 04-07-2024, 08:36 AM. Reason: Poor memory

Comment

If I win this gun at the auction I will see if there is a production date on the barrel and the proof marks

Comment

I picked up my Jos Zeller combination 16/8X57 JR today. The is extensive corrosion on the steel action as the gun was kept in damp storage which was not disclosed but the Zeiss 4X scope is nice and the wood is nicely figured . The barrel markings on the action show a crown over a U and the serial number 1361 and another number 989. On the barrels it shows 7.7 57, Nitro Stahl , STGM 15GM ,16/1, Crown over U, W DH. I will have it restored but am not sure whether rebluing the action will hide the corrosion. Right now it is bright metal as the previous owner tried to remove the rust. I could not find a production date

Comment

Working...
                  X