Strange Krieghoff button?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange Krieghoff button?

One of the drillings I got this year has a real mystery built into it. It's a Sempert-Krieghoff Trumpf Dural in 16x16x8. In the trigger guard in front of the forward trigger is a button on the bottom of the action. I've asked many drilling enthusiasts and no one has ever seen one. I even corresponded with the Krieghoff factory who said they even asked the old timer gunsmiths in the back room. No one had any idea what it was. They asked me to take the gun apart and send them pictures (not a chance!). The buffalo horn trigger guard was clearly made to surround the button. And ideas? Thanks Sam Hershfield

unnamed.jpg

Without seeing the top of the gun or any other levers etc, my best guess would be it is the barrel selector. I imagine that pressing the button would select the rifle barrel for firing. Thanks, Diz

Comment

Diz's guess of barrel selector is the natural first choice, since there is no other selector in the photo. On the other hand, since it is in front of the single set trigger, I wondered if it is a way to unset the trigger without pulling it, in case a shot isn't taken. I never felt the need for such a thing, but I can understand how someone else might think it would be worthwhile. The photo shows the outboard end of a Greener safety, so that isn't what it is. If there is a button on top of the tang, it is likely the selector. It would be helpful if you posted more photos. To satisfy our curiosity, include photos of all the markings, including the proofmarks under the forearm.
      Mike

Comment

I'm likely way off base here but my Sauer 200 bolt action rifle has a similar button in this location. Pushing it up disengages the safety. I would suggest you get yourself a set of snap caps for all the bores and play with the gun. I'm sure you will figure it out. Let us know your progress.
        Peter

Comment

Myself, I have never seen a button like this, but I found a hint: In Fritze's "Krieghoff" book (pretty useless on pre-war hunting guns otherwise) he quoted a late-1930s catalog description of the then Trumpf drilling with the separate cocking of the rifle lock: "The new Trumpf is improved over the older ones. On the older ones, if you cocked the rifle lock by pushing the selector slide forward, and uncocked it again, you had to push a small button to switch the front trigger to the right shot lock again, an operation that was easily forgotten. Then the shot barrel would not fire if needed. This button has been eliminated on the new Trumpf."
          Maybe this is your mysterious button? Try it out by cocking the rifle lock, rear sight up, uncock it again, rear sight down again, try the front trigger. If nothing happens, push your button and try again. If the button does not work this way , I will have to ask around again.
          Waidmannsheil'!
          Axel E

Comment

Recent model of the Trumpf Drillinge have a slide that cocks the rifle, as you say. It stays like this so you can break it open and fire more rounds without having to recock the rifle each time, (on some older Drillings, this is not the case). You then have to push the Trumpf slide slightly forward to disengage it if. I wonder if this was an earlier way of doing that disengagement.

Another thought is that you should have 3 signal pins to show which barrels are cocked and which fire. Usually the left is for left barrel, middle is for the rifle barrel, (on a Normal-Drilling; that is 2 shotgun barrels & 1 rifle). So if you have some snap caps, you should be able to see what is happening. Also, the rear rifle site will erect if that is automatic, which I would think it would be. So if you slide the rifle selector forward and it goes up, but you then push the under-button and it goes down, that would suggest a disengage button. If it simply sets the set-trigger back from fine to normal/hard, you should pick this up by the increased length of trigger movement when unset, without needing a trigger gauge.

Lastly maybe it might stop the rifle sight going up, to make it easier to shoot the shot barrel at the fox that runs past the Hochsitz. Whatever it's for, there can't be many like it. Perhaps you have the only one!

Of course, to protect your new investment, you'll want a gunsmith to strip, clean and service it. Make sure he has a good digital camera to take pictures while it's apart. He should also be able to see what the button is activating. That's perhaps prudent to know before firing it.

Comment

Krieghoff_Trumpf.jpg

Krieghoff Trumpf action for comparison.
              Attached Files

Comment

Jillandsam303,

I think that Axel has it right. I found these pictures of a Dural and it appears that it has a side safety and a top selector. If your's is configured like this than it may require the trigger trigger to be re-selected for the shot barrel as Axel mentions. Certainly is a very nice rifle.

Thanks, Diz

Krieghoff Trumpf Durel Drilling.JPG

Krieghoff Trumpf Durel Drilling 16x16x 8x57 II.JPG

Comment

Diz, yep, that's the same button on my Trumpf. I'll try what the previous posters recommend and find out once and for all what "the button that not even Kriefhoff factory has ever seen". Thanks!

Comment

Brilliant Kiwi Bloke. Thanks! I've never seen another Trumpf with it...until Diz posted one. Guess they are pretty rare.

Comment

Axel, I'll try it. Many thanks!

Comment

Mike, thanks. Here are the pix P1080590.jpgP1080538.jpg

Comment

jillandsam303,
                          By happenstance, I found an explanation of the button in the September 1970 issue of The American Rifleman magazine. It verified Axel's description of the function of the button.
                          Mike

Comment

Mystery solved! Axel was right about the unique button on my Krieghoff Trumpf. I found someone at Krieghoff here in the US who really knows his stuff. I was talking to him trying to find out about Dural engraving and I thought to ask him about the button. I sent the picture of it and he confirmed it was to reset the front trigger to shotgun after cocking and shooting the rifle barrel. Here's what he said, plus his contact information.

"After checking with one of our gunsmith that works on the drillings the most I can tell you what that button does: It resets the front trigger after you shot the rifle barrel that you can use the trigger to shoot the right shotgun barrel. If you have the gun loaded with two shot shells and a rifle round, push the cocking button on top of the tang forward and shoot the rifle you will find that you cannot pull the front trigger a second time to shoot the right shotgun barrel without opening the gun and reset the system. If you push the button after shooting the rifle barrel with the front trigger it will engage the sear for the shotgun barrel and you are good to go. That prevents double firing. On other models there was an internal mechanism that worked with a little brass air pump to prevent the double fire.

Enjoy that gun, it’s a beautiful one."

With best regards
                            Elmar

Elmar Bonn
                            Parts and Service Department
                            Krieghoff International
                            PO Box 549 ; 7528 Easton Road
                            Ottsville, PA, 18942

Comment

Elmar is a fantastic reference and very helpful with all things "German Arms". As I read through your post the whole time in my head I was saying I would give you Elmar's contact info.

Glad you got ahold of him! Worth buying him a pint if your in the area.
                              www.myersarms.com

Looking for Mauser tools and catalogs.

Comment

Working...
                              X