August Wolf 16 gauge drilling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• August Wolf 16 gauge drilling

First post here, but trying to find out some information about a gun. I've scoured the web and can't seem to find much - bits and pieces, but nothing close to what I am looking for. I took a number of photos here:

https://goo.gl/photos/kvpDe7Kc3V9yhhNm6 (Google Photos link)

Markings that are visible:

Aug: Wolf

IN ZELLA ST.BL.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Oh my....lovely drilling!!! Are there any stampings on the barrel flats, drilling barrel or water table? I'm guessing the marks you list are on the rib?

Comment

ethanp, very nice drilling and great looking Damascus barrels. Hopefully as nice on the inside as the out. Sharps is right, you need to take the gun apart and take photos of any markings under the barrels and on the receiver. There are guys here that can decipher those marks. Good luck with it, Diz

Comment

As Diz said, we for sure need photos of proof marks, and you may need a chamber cast also, to ID the rifle chamber. It will have short shotgun chambers. I did note that it has Damascus shotgun barrels, but a steel rifle barrel.
        Mike

Comment

Yes sir...I noticed the Damascus right off....dribble...drool...slobber.

Comment

The combination of damascus shot barrels with steel rifle ones is common on German Drillings and Büchsflinten. It's near impossible to properly rifle damascus with it's many layers of different hardnes properly, without tool chatter. Very often rifled barrels are damascus on the outside only, welded over an inner homogenous steel tube. But this was not possible with the thin rifle barrels of combinations.
            I have nothing about August Wolf, Zella St. Blasii (since 1919 part of Zella - Mehlis), except he is mentioned in 1900, but your drilling seems to be earlier. August was only one of the 25 gunmaking Wolfs once active in Zella - Mehlis and Suhl.

Comment

Beutiful drilling. This is the type of Germanic rifle I have gravitated to that I am looking to collect. Artsy fartsy stuff which is usually early period. Nice find Ethanp.

Comment

That stock is an absolute stunner!! Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Where do you guys find these gems ???????

WOW !

Comment

Where do you guys find these gems ???????

WOW !

Comment

Working...
                    X