Schmickar Drilling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Schmickar Drilling

Just bought ANOTHER drilling, a beautiful under lever Schmickar 16/16/6.5x52R. Interesting markings. Never heard of the brand before. Any thoughts?
    Attached Files

Sam,
    Send photos of all markings.
    Mike

Comment

The drilling was retailed by Anton Schmickal (or Schmickar, spelling?), a gunshop, retailer and wholesaler at Kupferschmiedestr. 49, Breslau, Silesia, since 1945 Wroclaw, Poland. Existed til 1945. The patent info points to the real maker: DRP # 72583 of 1892 was issued to Jacob Röhmer, Gothaer Str.143c, Suhl, of Röhmer & Co., spelling later simplified to Römerwerk, existed until after 1945. They were a gunmaker first. Later they specialized as a machine shop and supplied the Suhl guntrade with metal parts and barrels, besides making some guns and pistols on their own.
      DRP # 72583 was for a drilling lock/set trigger/barrel selector arrangement. The front, push forwardd set trigger is the barrel selector at the same time. Unset, it fires the right shot barrel. Set, it activates the rifle barrel while blocking the shot barrel. You may find the patent with drawings here:
      https://depatisnet.dpma.de/DepatisNe...ge=1&xxxfull=1
      I could not find any info on DRGM # 16378 yet.

Comment

Axel, you're amazing! Thanks so much.

Sam

Comment

Found Jacob Röhmer's DRGM # 16378 too. It was for a triggerguard cocking drilling lockwork, Sorry, but of those old DRGMs the title only is left.

Comment

Axel and Mike, only thing I could find about Schmickal (not Schmickar as I had thought) was this ad for shooting targets. Now researching Jacob Röhmer. schmikal ad.JPG

Comment

Hello

I don’t know if you’re able to get anything out of it but I ran a couple of things through Google Translate and they came out as follow:

The following has been entered in our company register today:

1) Current No,: 125,
              2) Name of the company: Suhler mechanical gunsmith Röhmer & Co,
              3) Registered office: Suhl.
              4) Legal relations of the Company: The Company is a Commandit Company and commenced on 1 June 1888. The personally liable partners are: the merchant Friedrich Zschocke and the mechanic Jacob Röhmer at Suhl, both entitled to represent the company externally.
              Suhl, 17 December 1888.
              Royal District Court.

Notice.
              1) According to No 125 - Kommandit-Gesellschaft Suhler mechanical gunsmith Röhmer & Co. - in our company register is available from January 31st. the following was noted the same day: The merchant Friedrich Zschocke in Suhl has left as a personally liable partner,
              2) the general partner of the Commandit Company mentioned at 1 mechanic Jakob Röhmer in Suhl has given the merchant Paul Lahaye for the named company Procura; this is under no. 72 in our Procuren register according to order of 21 and 22 January 1895 registered.
              Suhl, January 31, 1895.
              Royal District Court.

Notice
              In our Procuren register is today at No. 72 registered for the company "Suhler mechanical gunsmith Röhmer & Co." In Suhl the merchant Paul Lahaye procured Procura is extinct.
              Suhl, September 26, 1896.
              Royal District Court.

In our commercial register Department A is registered today: in place of the annulment of the limited partnership of the personally liable partner Zschocke, the gun manufacturer Paul Stadelmann in Suhl has entered as a limited partner of the Commanditgesellschaft Suhler mechanical gunsmith Röhmer & Co in Suhl with a capital contribution of 6000 Mark on 17 December 1901 occurred.
              Suhl, December 23, 1901.
              Royal District Court.

Notice.
              In the commercial register department A no. 31 is at the company: Suhler mechanical gunsmith Rölmer (obviously a mis-spelling) & Co. registered in Suhl today: in place of the retired from the company B. Stahl in Suhl is the company G.C. Dornheim, limited liability company in Lippstadt, branch in Suhl, and instead of the retired company Arnold Lahaye in Suhl the pensioner (der Rentner?) Leonard Lahaye in Suhl, as limited partners with a capital contribution of 6000 marks on 1 February 1906 occurred. The merchant Oskar Jung in Suhl is procured Procura.
              Suhl, February 6, 1906.
              Royal District Court.

If my information is correct Röhmerwerk began in March-April 1909. Oskar Jung was still on board. If I’m in a good mood I¨ll post tomorrow on that particular topic. I have zilch on Schmickal.

Kind regards
              Peter
              Last edited by algmule; 03-22-2018, 01:07 AM. Reason: came ot a bit chaotic

Comment

Hello

I was wrong. I have this, and yes, it's the wrong Schmickal but he is from Breslau and apparently he had a patent or a DRGM on a rifle safety. Anyone with Schuss und Waffe from 1913 may find out more.

Gewehrsicherung. Max Schmickal, Breslau, Blücherstrasse 19

EDIT: found the following
                00jillandsam.JPG

Kind regards
                Peter
                Last edited by algmule; 03-22-2018, 01:49 AM.

Comment

Peter, thanks so much for the Roehmer/Schmickal data. I appreciate your and Axel's knowledge and detective power in my search for the maker/marketer of my newest drilling. Sam

Comment

Schmickal Proofs

I'll take possession of the weapon this weekend and will post all the proof marks I can find.

Comment

OK guys. Just unwrapped the "Schmickal". Looks like "A. Schmickal" on the rib. Probably still a Jacob Röhmer made drilling? Here are the proof marks. Made in 1935? Marked with patents from Germany as well as Austria Hungary on the trigger. What are the other marks? P1130586.jpgP1130571.jpg
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by jillandsam303; 03-23-2018, 07:59 PM.

Comment

Sam,
                        Your drilling was born as 9.3x72R, in Zella-Mehilis in Aug. 1910, with ledger number 369. In addition to the proof for a single projectile and View proof, it shows a "repair" proof( crown R). It is possible the repair proof is for the conversion to 6.5x52R, which you reported is it's current caliber. It is also possible the "repair" was something else and the rifle barrel was lined to 25-35 in the US and no new proof was performed. This would explain the lack of proof marks for the new rifle caliber( 6,2/52). Of course, this is under the understanding to posted photos of all proof marks.
                        Mike

Comment

Thanks for your quick help.

Mike, thanks! I was wrong thinking "118.35" was the proof date. 1910 is OLD. The relined barrel looks very professional. Why it wasn't reproofed is anyone's guess. I'm assuming all the patents on the German side as well as the Austria Hungary side were for the complex unlocking mechanism as has been said. It's clear the barrels were reblued at some time. I may have my gunsmith replace the worn gold at the barrel breech. But the stock is very nice and the bores were shiny (once I cleaned 100 years of powder and lead out of them). And the engraving is pretty good. P1130583 (2).jpgP1130584 (2).jpg[/ATTACH]P1130588.jpg. Thanks again. Sam

Comment

Sam,
                            In my unrequested opinion, you have a very interesting drilling that anyone would be proud to own, enjoy it and shoot it.
                            Mike

Comment

Thanks. This is the guy!

Comment

Working...
                              X