Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any more proof mark or other info on this shotgun?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any more proof mark or other info on this shotgun?

I have done some research on one of the German firearms I inherited from my father, which is a 12 Gauge Double barrel hammerless shotgun for which I would welcome any further info.

On the underneath of the receiver and running across is a "G"(German style). Under the "G" is written GUSTLOFF-WERKE. Under that is Waffenwerk Suhl.
    The proof marks on the underside of the barrels at the breech are the same left and right and consist of (From top to bottom):
    Eagle with N in body Crowned W (Choked Barrel)
    Suhl on sideway shield (Proof House)
    Crowned U
    13/1 12 inside circle (12 gauge calibre)
    70mm (Cartridge/chamber length)
    Eagle with shield in body and arch on top of wings "Nitro" (Nitro Proof mark)
    with the proof date of “1239” (December 1939) on the Left barrel breech flat only.

Each barrel also has Eagle with N in body and Crowned S (Smoothbore Proof) stamped across the barrel with the initials BSW (Meaning”Berlin Suhler Waffen- und Fahrzeugwerke” ) laterally down the barrel below the stamps, these are concealed by the forearm and running down the top of each barrel on the top near the breach is “Fluss Stahl Krupp Essen”.

The proof marks on the action's watertable are on the right side:
    Eagle with N in body
    Crowned U BSW
    With BSW also stamped on the left side of the watertable in the same location as the right along with the serial number which I forgot to put down here.

The shotgun is engraved with waterfowl and game and has double triggers within a horn trigger guard (Cracked between guard and rear fixing screw which I need to repair.) and walnut (I think) woodwork. Both barrels are choked. And has a tang safety behind the top lever. Each breach also has a “Loaded” pin that protrudes on the rear of each breach curve to show if chamber is loaded by touch and sight. It also came in and is still stored in, a khaki coloured oiled 2 compartment canvas field bag with leather barrel protector, handle and straps with a side pocket. There is a timber and brass ferrule 2 piece cleaning rod held in the main body of the bag with the stock and action and brushes (1 steel brush and pull through holder) kept in the Brown press stud closed side pocket.

I am only new to this group by the way

Sam.point,
    You seem to have done most of the research already and there is not much else I can tell you. The 12 in a circle is the caliber,as you said, the 13/1 is the diameter of the bore ahead of the chamber.This dimension works out to about 18.26mm. Your gun is interesting, in that, it is a "SIMSON". The family that owned the company was Jewish, which was pretty dangerous at the time. In a effort to not be so obvious, the family changed the company name to BSW. In an attempt to take over the company, the Nazis forced the company to accept some directors of their choice onto the board, and again changed the name to WAFFA. These directors unsuccessfully tried to take the company over by investing a small amount of money in the company. When this didn't work, the Nazi Gauleiter, Fritz Saukel, had two family members arrested on "trumped up"charges.To gain release, thereby saving their lives, they had to sign over all their property to the government. The company was combined with others, under the name Gustloff Werke. Willhelm Gustloff had nothing to do with gun manufacturing at all, this name was chosen by Fritz Saukel to curry favor with the Nazi party.Wilhelm Gustlof was the leader of the Nazi Party in Switzerland and was killed by David Frankfurter. He was elevated to martyr status by the Nazis and his death was used as the pretext for "Kristallnacht".A better description of this story, written by our founder Dietrich Apel, can be found in "Der Waffenschmied" no.42, Spring 2010, a copy of which can be bought from the home office. I hope this is helpful.
    Mike

Comment

Thanks Mike for the reply. Yes I had already done some research into Dad's BSW (Simson) and knew about the company and name changes leading upto WW2 and the Nazi takeover of the companies. The only thing I coudn't really work out was the timings as I thought Simson was outed in '37 and "GUSTLOFF-WERKE" came in in '39 and the gun was proofed in December '39! The other things I didn't include the other day was the serial number (49792) and the barrel length of 700mm from breech face to barrel tip.

The gun itself is not heavily engraved, but with plenty of scroll work on the silver (?) case hardened reciever and all the screw heads marked with engravings. It features a male duck (Ringed kneck) and bullrushes under the receiver below the "Waffenwerk Suhl" legend which is itself below "GUSTLOFF-WERKE" legend. It still has the original buttplate with BSW inside a circle in the middle of the checkered black buttplate. There are 2 threaded holes underneath the central rib between the barrels in front of the forend and a screw hole on the stock for sling mounts proving it was made as a "working" field gun and not for skeet, clay shooting or show. And my father and I have used on gameit in the country on the old property. So it does have field wear as well.

Cheers,

Sam

Comment

Working...
      X