Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Info WTD about Gun & Maker - German Bernhard Paatz Cape Gun 9mm Flobert x 6mm Flobert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Info WTD about Gun & Maker - German Bernhard Paatz Cape Gun 9mm Flobert x 6mm Flobert

Hello All,

I collect Cape Guns.

I recently purchased a German Bernhard Paatz Cape Gun 6mm Flobert / 9mm Flobert

This one may be at the fringe of the true definition of a Cape Gun, but I bought it anyway.

I never heard of the maker, and can find little info about him or this type of gun. So I would ask your help.

german6x9-000-3.jpg

german9x6-8.jpg
    Attached Files
    Last edited by buckstix; 11-18-2022, 11:50 AM.
    "You never pay too much for something - you only buy it too early"

Bernhard Paatz (1860 - 1924) founded his Zella-Mehlis „factory“ in 1890. By 1925 the address was Reissmannstr. 6. The company was run by two more generations, Heinrich Paatz and Theodor Paatz until 1945. Paatz was one of the larger Zella - Mehlis makers of such cheap small bore guns and rifles.
    Until 1972 non-repeaters with up to 6 mm Flobert rifled bores and/or 9 mm smooth bores were not rate das firearms, but as sort of toys. So everyone could buy, carry and use them without age restrictions or license. So nearly any country boy had such a thing. Such 6 mm Flobert / 9 mm garden guns were used around the farm or garden for shooting small pests like rats, mice, sparrows and so on.

Comment

buckstix,
      As a point of interest, your gun may be proofed to use a single projectile (bullet)even though smoothbore. Check for a crown G proof mark. I don't think bulleted ammo is available, but rimfire shot ammo is. The 6mm rimfire cartridge is so close to 22 in actual dimensions that you can use it with reasonable accuracy. I use either 22 short CB caps or 22shorts in mine but based on a comment by Axel that they were "generous" with chamber length, I tried 22 LR standard velocity ammo. The bullets struck "point on" with no sign of tipping. The shot patterns from mine are reasonable. This is not a recommendation, but only a report of my experience.
      Mike
      Last edited by mike ford; 11-20-2022, 03:31 PM.

Comment

Hello Axel E.

Once again I thank you for all the interesting information.

Hello mike ford.

It will be interesting to try your suggestions.

Comment

Originally posted by mike ford View Post
          buckstix,
          As a point of interest, your gun may be proofed to use a single projectile (bullet)even though smoothbore. Check for a crown G proof mark. I don't think bulleted ammo is available, but rimfire shot ammo is. The 6mm rimfire cartridge is so close to 22 in actual dimensions that you can use it with reasonable accuracy. I use either 22 short CB caps or 22shorts in mine but based on a comment by Axel that they were "generous" with chamber length, I tried 22 LR standard velocity ammo. The bullets struck "point on" with no sign of tipping. The shot patterns from mine are reasonable. This is not a recommendation, but only a report of my experience.
          Mike
          Hello mike ford,

The 6mm barrel on this gun is rifled. I've shot 22 shorts, and 22 Long rifle with very good results with each - about 1" groups at 75 feet. I also tried 9mm shot cartridges from Fiocci with # 7-1/2 shot. of the 90 pellets in the cartridge, 30 pellets hit an 8-1/2" x 11" piece of paper at the same 75 foot range. This little cape gun is a hoot to shoot.

Comment

Originally posted by buckstix View Post
            I also tried 9mm shot cartridges from Fiocci with # 7-1/2 shot. of the 90 pellets in the cartridge, 30 pellets hit an 8-1/2" x 11" piece of paper at the same 75 foot range.

From my experience (about 60 years ago!) with the 9 mm Flobert shot loads, I rate the maximum useable range more like 30 feet. Remember, the main purpose of these loads was shooting rats in barns and stables without seriously damaging any “backstop” available in such places. In Germany today, these loads are quite often used for dispatching foxes or racoons inside live traps. Such traps are usually box-like and made of wood. At the usual 2 foot range for such shots, the shot load is not dispersed much. It will kill the prey without penetrating it and damaging the costly trap.

Comment

buckstix,
              Maybe I wasn't clear, the suggestion to check for a "crown G" proof mark was for the 9mm smooth bore barrel. I don't know of a source for 9mm RF bulleted ammo, but I am often surprised with new sources. My comment about reasonable shot patterns was at a distance more in line with Axels 30 ft (10 yards), than your 75 ft. I agree with your assessment that these things are a "hoot" to shoot.
              Mike

Comment

Working...
              X