German trade mark O&U

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• German trade mark O&U

Does anyone know probably the german trade mark R and W in a circle on the barrel?
    The proof marks on the barrels are german and marks on the receiver are czech from 1930.
    There are no other marks except these.

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 4 photos.

Hello

matesar,
    it has been suggested that the marking is for R?(h)merwerk but I have never been able to confirm it by proper sources. The only "trademarks" for R?(h)merwerk I have been able to confirm are the following two:

045R?merwerk.jpg
    044R?merwerk.jpg
    the bottom one is from 1925, I believe.

Maybe someone else knows what the marking is. RW-markings in different shapes occur frequently on German guns. Sorry I can't be of any further help.

Peter
    Last edited by algmule; 08-10-2023, 09:19 AM. Reason: Poor memory and spelling

Comment

Peter,
      The marks are on both barrels; did you look for barrel makers?
      Mike

Comment

Hello

Mike Ford,
        no, I didn't. Have now. At least a quick glance. To have a fair chance to solve the riddle one needs to have a number of guns from where one may be able to establish an approximate time frame, and then one can start to guess and/or look for proper sources. Most often it does not lead to much. The marking could well be for R?(h)merwerk only I would like to have it confirmed by a proper source.

My list contains two names that fit R and W - Robert Wackes and Robert Werner, both from Suhl, both with the title Rohrmacher, and I am pretty confident that the marking is not for either of them. Remember my list does not contain anyone with titles such as gunsmith and/or master gunsmith and it is not yet complete(d) which make the list slightly difficult to use. I do know the marking occurs on rifle barrels as well as shot tubes and that it is relatively frequent which may point towards some larger firm. Maybe the marking is not for anyone who fiddled with barrel work.

I own a shotgun with the marking R. W. That particular marking also occurs as R. W. on some shotguns and maybe Wackes and Werner are more likely here but who knows. Some shotguns have R on one tube and W on the other and I believe they are markings used in the manufacturing process but really have no idea.

052.jpg

I would like to see all the markings on the thing.

Peter

Comment

Peter,
          Thanks, I know you do a careful search, that is why I thought of you.
          Mike

Comment

Working...
          X