Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

an unidentified 7x57 w/ claw mtd scope - markings ? ? ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• an unidentified 7x57 w/ claw mtd scope - markings ? ? ?

Hello All,

I picked up this 7x57 Mauser and would like to know if anyone might suggest what it is and what the markings mean .... especially 11gr

757KRUPP-000.jpg
    "You never pay too much for something - you only buy it too early"

buckstix,
    The St .M. G. over 11gr means it was proofed for an 11 gram(173 grain) steel jacketed bullet. The " markings on bottom of barrel" don't make sense to me, could you post a clear photo of them. The word or words after "Krupp" on top of the barrel is/are not clear enough to read, even under 400% zoom. Can you spell it/them for me?
    Mike

Comment

Hello mike ford,

The barrel marking is " KRUPP LAUFSTAHL " .... I can't get clear pictures of the bottom of the barrel markings .... its possible that the 1638 may be 1038 ... all those markings are too light to see clearly, let alone photograph... the scope is marked " HENSOLDT WETZLER " - " DIALYT 3x " - " 5258 "
      Last edited by buckstix; 03-06-2024, 05:00 PM.

Comment

Hello

See below image

01.jpg

As there is no powder charge marking on the rifle I assume it is post (circa) 1912.

02.jpg

Peter

Comment

hello Peter,

thanks but I don't read German .... could the 1038 be Oct. 1938 .?.. would that fit the type of rifle? I'm sure this was a sporterized Military as there is some evidence on the stock of there once was a round disk and some plugged holes just behind the pistol grip that may have been from an original sling swivel.

Comment

buckstix,
            Peter was saying that the rifle was proofed with 4,000 atmosphere powder (evidenced by the crown N next to the bullet type) so it was proofed after 1912. The KRUPP LAUFSTAHL means KRUPP barrel steel. The 1038 would make more sense than 1638, assuming it is the proof date. If that is so, the 75 could be the ledger number, and that would mean it was proofed in Zella-Mehilis since the Suhl proof house didn't stamp ledger numbers. The 3 would need to be a 7 to make sense (7/57). I believe, also that the stock is a sporterized stock as evidenced by the military recoil lug.
            Mike

Comment

Hello

Are the Reichskrone and crown N present on the "underside" of the bolt handle?

Also: forget the "Late 1920's" in the image in my earlier post. Semi-early 1930's may be more appropriate. The image is a cropped JPS&S ad. Sorry.

Peter

Comment

Working...
              X