Drilling Info Request

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drilling Info Request

This seems to be the best forum on the planet for weapon identification. When my Grandfather passed (WWII Infantry Vet) he gave me this shotgun. I know little about it except that the two barrels on the top seem to be 16 gauge. Anything else would be extremely helpful. How old might it be? What gauge is the rifle barrel? Should I consider the weapon operational or a show piece? Were many of them manufactured? Again, any intel obtained here would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

IMG_0761.jpgIMG_0759.jpgIMG_0758.jpgIMG_0757.jpgIMG_0753.jpg

I'd like to see an image of the top of the frame and a closeup of the side of the frame. Appears to be a blitz/triggerplate action chambered in 16x16 over 8x58 1/2(13 gram bullet). All tubes are Röchling steel and were either sourced from Haenel or Gebhard Helmuthäuser. It was made in Suhl between 1912 & 1923.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
    rse
    Last edited by ellenbr; 08-30-2013, 11:53 AM.

Comment

Mike,
      It looks like your Grandfather left you a very nice old drilling. Do you intend to shoot/use it? I suspect your grandfather would be very pleased if you did, and pass it along to your own children, along with his story. Members of this board will be happy to advise you in loading ammo if you decide to use it.
      Mike

Comment

Raimey,

My apologies, I loaded the pics but didn't want to overload the initial threat. [IMG][/IMG] and I hope these pics show. If not, they are also in an album I created. Do they help?

Comment

Hey Mike,

So, in your opinion (at least from the pics) the weapon looks serviceable? Providing I can locate the proper ammo? And thanks again for getting back so quickly on my initial post.
          Last edited by Dane; 08-31-2013, 07:15 PM. Reason: forgot to add thanks

Comment

Dane,
            As well as can be determined by photographs alone, it seems very serviceable. The cartridge it is marked for is a well known one, generating fairly low pressures, often found in guns not as strong as yours.Unfortunately, factory ammo is not easily avaliable, but happily it is fairly easy to load for.You didn't say if you have any experience loading ammunition, if so, you shouldn't have any problems, if not, it will only be a little more difficult.
            Mike

Comment

Working...
            X