1871 Mauser rifle ammo spec

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1871 Mauser rifle ammo spec

I have an excellent condition Mauser I inherited from my late father-in-law.
    After reading previous postings I am a bit confused.
    The bbl markings are:
    0,15grNGP M/71
    2,14grBl

As I understand it:
    0,15 = (.15 grams powder charge used by the proofhouse.
    grNGP = neues Gewehr Pulver
    M/71 = M1871 mauser army rifle)

2,14 gr Bl = 2.14 gram Blei 33 grain lead bullet

But I am confused as to the caliber. It seems to be near a 30.06.
    Attached Files

Need to divorce the tube from the stock & see what lies underneath. Or slug the bore & do a chamber cast. 0,15 grams of powder is quite small for a 30.06. Probably some 8mm or 9mm variant.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
    rse

Comment

I would bet that it is an 8.15x46R with a 12,14 gram bullet. I have one just like it. I think they were used for the running game targets and needed the lower power cartridge for the shooting ranges. The chamber cast will tell but is it chambered for a rimmed cartridge?

Comment

Please, post a photo of the serviceload data too. The load data is for the service load to be used in the rifle. The rifle was proofed for using this load. "Neues Gewehr Pulver M71" was the name for a standardized grade of black powder introduced at the same time as the M71 Mauser rifle and it's 11.2x60R = .43 Mauser cartridge. The numbers you give speak for one of the long obsolete centerfire Tesching = rook & rabbit cartridges or even a rimfire.
        Your rifle is one of the "Simplified Mauser M71 type" actions. These were never made by Mauser, Oberndorf, but mostly by the Zella-Mehlis guntrade. These actions were made in many different sizes, from tiny ones for .22 rimfires to very big ones for 12 gauge Vogelbüchsen = spezialized heavy target rifles.

Comment

Working...
        X