Weissgerber .22 LR Martini Schuetzen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weissgerber .22 LR Martini Schuetzen

I need help finding info on a Weissgerber Martini action schuetzen type rifle in .22 LR, 47 1/2" OAL at 10 lbs 5 oz. The reciever has exceptional floral engraving. The fluted octogonal barrel is 28 1/2" and inlaid with what appeas to be "FRL Weissgerber St Wendel" (FRL = fraulien?). It is stamped under the forearm behind the lug with: a large S, a U w/ crown, a eagle w/ upturned wings and crown, a G w/ crown, the numbers 1808 and 156,14 as well as two other crests. In front of the lug is 1776. The stock is carved with a modest deer scene (a bit optimistic for a .22 and has a brass buttplate and small brass plate above the toe of the stock. The stock has had a good repair plug at the wrist on the right side. Additionally, an offhand palm rest has been added to the forearm (which while a shame for originality, it does add the nice feature of being able to stand on its own while on a bench). The rear sight apears to match however, the retaining screw and key do not. The barrel and receiver are slightly different shades of with the reiver and trigger guard being slightly more plum and the barrel darker which, would lead me to believe it's been reblued however, it looks really good (and I haven't seen too many people who can reblue then put an inlay on as well). Overall excellent condition 95% if not for stock repair.

Anyway, haven't found too much info on European .22 schuetzens. Looking for a model name, date of mfg, value, and any other info you might have or suspect. Small pics attached, also at https://plus.google.com/photos/10820...CILuhvTT0qzxMg

Thanks.
    DSC_0682.jpgDSC_0678.jpgDSC_0671.jpgDSC_0665.jpgDSC_0664.jpg
    Last edited by DovK0802; 11-06-2014, 03:58 PM.

Evidenced by the offset underlever, this rifle is built on a Stahl – Martini action, see Tom Rowe’s book „Alte Scheibenwaffen Vol.2“, pages 152 – 172 and 407. The book is available from the GGCA bookstore on this site, see http://www.germanguns.com/storefinalbooks.html
    These actions were used by many small and larger Suhl gunmakers for the trade and are a quite common “Martini” variant. The barrel was made by one of the four Klett, Suhl barrelmakers, K in spiked circle mark. The rifle was proofed in Suhl between 1893 and 1912. As the Suhl proofmarks with the gauge number 156.14 show, it was originally a centerfire in 8.15x46R. As it is now a .22lr, the barrel got a liner and the action converted to rimfire later. The conversion was most likely done in America post-WW2, as there is no reproof, mandatory in Germany.
    The rifle was retailed by Fridolin Weissgerber who had a family gunshop, founded 1814, at Kelsweiler Str., St. Wendel, a town in the Saarland , western Germany.

Comment

Axel, Thanks for the great info. Any idea on a value for it?

Comment

The American market is very different from my German one. And, out of experience I made it a habit: Never tell another about a "value" or "fair price" of a gun you have not examined personally!

Comment

Understandable. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
          X