Questions about my 2nd Driling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about my 2nd Driling

Here's what I think is correct information about this weapon. Can anyone add or correct any information?

Meffert SN 57539 Details:

Action: “Roux” Under-Barrel Snap Lever
    D.R.G.M. Registered “Treff” Model
    Weight: 7 Lbs.
    Overall Length: 42 ¾”
    Length of Pull: 13 ½”
    Drop at Heel: 3”
    Drop at Comb: 1 ½”
    Butt Plate/Grip Cap: Buffalo Horn
    Barrel Length: 26 3/4”
    Barrel Type: Fluid Steel
    Rifle Caliber: Proof Marked 8.8mm (9.3x72R ) *
    Rifle Sight: Flip up
    Shotgun Gauge: 16
    Chambers: 2 9/16th
    Right Bore: .650” Modified*
    Left Bore: .635” Full*

Happy New Year!
    Attached Files

Treff & Hubertus are Imman. Meffert trademarks. Experienced proof post 1912. The strikers are held in a block attached to the top strap & hammers with spring potential rearward of the strap excite the strikers and trip the signal pins.

Cheers,

Raimey
    rse
    Last edited by ellenbr; 12-31-2014, 11:34 PM.

Comment

Curious who owns the HB on the watertable & is there LC on the underside of the right tube just forward of the flats?

Cheers,

Raimey
      rse

Comment

Screws that attach the striker block to the top tang are encircled in Red. Seems there must have been an issue(may still be) as the screws are buggered. Signal pins are encircled blue.

Kcordell has some nice images, if memory serves me correctly.

Cheers,

Raimey
        rse

Comment

All right, it might be I that have the images.

Cheers,

Raimey
          rse

Comment

Drilling Proofs

Raimey, Yes, there is an "L.C." on the underside of the right tube. What does it stand for?

Here are the best shots I can get of the proof marks.

Thanks again for all your knowledge and help!

Sam
            Attached Files

Comment

jillandsam303,
              Absent a case length mark, the 8.8mm can fit a couple other popular cartridges.Am I correct in thinking you have already tried a 9.3x72R cartridge or case in the rifle?
              Mike

Comment

Raimey, what does the LC stand for?

Sam

Comment

An RWS 9.3x72R fits perfectly, but I guess that's not safe enough to assume that's the caliber. Guess I'll have to have the barrel slugged and the chamber cast won't I? Sam

Comment

Sam:
                    I'll probably have to deflect a good bit of rock salt & bacon rind but although just a few German possibilities for LC exist like Ludwig C. & there's only one or 2 mechanics with the last name C, the letters more than likely note Belgian mechanic/barrel maker Louis Clement.

You can mark my word here and take it to the bank. I defy anyone to prove othewise, but the the bulk, if not all, of the Krupp Steel tubes imported into the U.S. of A. prior to WWI were made by this cat & many of the German ones that makers were looking for price point components also sourced him.

Cheers,

Raimey
                    rse

Comment

Lucien(Louis) Clément 60 Rue Maghin, Liege - sans nom de rue a Nessonvaux en 1910
                      Used the term Prima Fluss Stahl & others

Maybe Friar Fred will impress us with his command of the language of the French.

Cheers,

Raimey
                      rse

Comment

jillandsam303,
                        The fact that RWS 9.3x72R(which is the normal.version)excludes 9.3x57R,9.3x70R,9x58 1/2 R S&S, as well as the "D"version of 9.3x72R. About the only two left would be 9.3x75R and 9.3x82 R Nimrod.Since these were more common in T&S drillings than Meffert, I wouldn't think it's necessary to make a chamber cast. If you intend to handload for it, you should determine the groove diameter, some way.The easiest way is to slug the bore, but if you do make a chambercast; you can have it extend to a good part of the barrel and find the groove diameter that way.
                        Mike

Comment

Originally posted by ellenbr View Post
                          This coil spring, inline striker lock design was protected by I.Meffert in 1911, DRGM 455805, "coil spring locks for double barrels".
                          These drillings too have these tang-mounted striker locks, but for the shot barrels only. The rifle barrel is served by a conventional blitz lock mounted on the trigger plate .This lockwork is known mostly as double guns, as mentioned in the DRGM heading.
                          The DRGM marking may refer to another of several DRGMs for internal drilling barrel selector/safety arrangements, held by I.Meffert, f.i..
                          DRGM 253124 was for "a turning part on extractors".
                          DRGM 292965 was for an "automatic safety for drillings, blocking the rifle barrel lock on cocking.

Last edited by Axel E; 01-04-2015, 04:13 PM.

Comment

Raimey, no rock salt coming your way from Florida! The proof strike for your Louis Clement mirrors mine with no period after the C. So do you think Louis made the tubes in Belgium and shipped them to Immanuel Meffert who mated them with the rifle barrel? If so, really interesting production process. Now if we only knew the H.B. next to Hubertus was. Thanks for all your brilliant sleuthing. It's really great to learn about this gun. See why I love drillings now? Sam

Comment

No, I know the Cléments were rolling rough tubes from ingots of Krupp steel while Jean-Baptiste Delcour-Dupont/ Canons Delcour S.A. of Nessonvaux was rolling rough tubes of other steel recipes being sourced by the world for price-point tubes. At some point when cards are laid out, all will need to kneel & pay homage to the great tube makers of Liege. Of course you have it in hand, but are you certain the stamp next to the "Hubertus" trademark is a H.B.? Looks like a script SK?

Cheers,

Raimey
                              rse

Comment

Working...
                              X