Merkel Manufacture Date?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Merkel Manufacture Date?

P1070892.jpgJust started my long journey to convert my assault weapon collection to wonderful old German Drillings.

I just traded two "guild" guns and two Parkers for my first quality drilling a Merkel.

I think it's a model 96K in 12x12x7x65R.

Nice shape with Steiner 3-12 VZF, quick mounts and a Krieghoff Einstecklauf model 12R (which I think is .22 LR, not .22 WMR).

Can't identify a build date on the water table.

Any insight on the gun, model, build date and wide value range would be appreciated. More pix available.

Thanks

Sam
    Attached Files

The proof date is visible: 183 = January 1983. To identify the exact model we need a photo of the safety/barrel selector arrangement.
    Last edited by Axel E; 01-26-2015, 04:24 PM.

Comment

Thanks! Here's the safe/selector pix

P1070880.jpgP1070885.jpgP1070887.jpg
      Originally posted by Axel E View Post
      The proof date is visible: 183 = January 1983. To identify the exact model we need a photo of the safety/barrel selector arrangement.

Comment

More Merkel Pix

Happy to finally acquire a higher quality drilling.
        Attached Files

Comment

It's a model 30 Luxus, a predecessor of current 96K. IMHO you made a bum trade.

Comment

Axel, that's disappointing. Why is it a bum trade? Are the Model 30s poor value? What range should they sell for? Thanks

Comment

Axel, I can't find any reference on the web to a Merkel Model 30. Scores of other model numbers but no 30s. If this thing was manufactured in 1983, shouldn't there be some record of it? Help!

Comment

I'll let Axel speak for himself,although I think I know why.For myself, I don't like 12 ga.drillings, too heavy and ungainly. On the otherhand, even though I prefer 7x57R for my area, 7x65R is a great cartridge. An einstecklauf is great to have and a scope is necessary,in my view, so these are positives.
                Mike

Comment

Quote:
                  I just traded two "guild" guns and two Parkers for my first quality drilling a Merkel.
                  Such typical second hand post-war drillings in 7x65 R/12 with a good scope go here in Germany for about Euro 1500.- maximum, about US$ 1800.-. Have a look into WWW.egun.de – Jagdwaffen – Drillinge German internet auctions.
                  Your drilling still has the old "standard" controls, 3 selfcocking "Blitz-" = trigger plate locks, barrel selector on tang, Greener type side safety. Here is this model, as it appeared in an 1980s "Frankonia" catalog.

(The "F" is simply a trade name for the ones made for the big importer Waffen-Frankonia, without "Merkel" marked on them)
                  Your drilling is quite late for this design, as in the mid 1980s the GDR "Ernst Thaelmann Werk VEB", that used both "Gebr.Merkel" and "Simson" as trade marks, brought out an "improved model", the 95 series. These had two slides on the tang, the rear one the safety, the front one selects and cocks the rifle barrel lock.
                  A few years later the 95 series was again superseded by the current 96K series. These have only one three-position control slide on the top tang, rear = safe, middle = shot barrels, pushing it further to the front cocks and selects the rifle barrel.
                  Shape, engraving grades remained the same through all three series. That's why I asked for a photo of the controls.
                  Due to changing hunting conditions drilling lost a lot of popularity here in Germany. Sauer stopped making them years ago. I doubt that Merkel, Heym and Krieghoff sell many new ones. The low demand is usually met by the second hand ones from the 1960s to 80s. That's why Simpson and others now buy them up here and have them sent to the USA.
                  Last edited by Axel E; 01-27-2015, 10:10 AM.

Comment

BTW, that 1Q stamp on the barrel lug was used during GDR times to denote "first Quality", destined for export to the west, against hard currency.

Comment

It appears to be a rather nice piece. The new Steiner 3-12x56 is about $900 here in the US. I have no idea as to the value of the 22 adaptor.

Comment

Axel, many thanks! Well...that's what I get for not doing deep research before I got excited about the Merkel. My quick research made me believe it was a 96K worth anywhere from $8K to $10K here in the US. Although now that I know, I've searched and haven't found anything on the Model 30 Luxus easily on the web. So, sadly, you are right, I got a "bum deal". Next time, I'll check with you before I buy. I appreciate your help. Sam

Comment

The 1980s catalog price of 3598.- for the less decorated 32 is still in Deutsche Mark. The 30 Luxus was listed at DM 4498.-, about US$ 3000.- then. A mounted high quality 2.5 - 10x52 Zeiss (west) scope added about $ 1600.-, but these were 1980s prices. But, as I wrote, if you try to resell this Drilling in the now German market, you are very lucky if you get Euro 1500.-. Extraordinary Drillings like true sidelocks or double rifle Drillings, especially pre-WW2, are a different matter.
                          Last edited by Axel E; 01-27-2015, 01:28 PM.

Comment

jillandsam303,
                            Now that Axel has given his opinion,look on Auction Arms under Drillings.There is a post war Sauer drilling in 12ga/30-06 listed for $ 8000+.This same drilling has been listed ever since I learned how to turn a computer on.It is just renewd when the time ends.There is often a Krieghoff drilling listed that is almost as bad. What Drillings are listed for means nothing,look for what they actually sell for. My concern was you traded 4 guns (2 of which also usually bring more than they are otherwise worth, due to collector interest).Of course I have no way to know how much you had in the guns you traded, so I don't know if you took a "hit" or not.This incident shows why I don't estimate the value of someone elses guns,I seldom think they are worth as much as others do. If you were only interested in collector value, you might be disappointed.On the otherhand, you have a very useable and useful gun, especially if you are large enough that the weight doesn't bother you. I believe you shouldn't let disappointment cause you to rid yourself of the drilling.Rather you should keep,use, and enjoy it.Years from now you can look back on the hunts you enjoyed with it and will no longer be disappointed.
                            Mike

Comment

Mike, kind words. Hopefully I'll know better next time. This isn't going to dull my new found interest in Drillings, just my enthusiasm when looking at them.

Sam

Comment

Working...
                              X