Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help identifying unknown proof marks on Nimrod or Nimnod

I can not find whose is proof marks.

I can not find the name of the manufacturer, you will see in the pictures, upon the barrel writen Nimrod or
    Nimnod, is this mark or type?

Shutgun is without serial number.

Is the mechanism Anson & Deeley boxlock ?

Thank you!
    Attached Files

igorbobini,
    I don't recognize these proof marks, but if I had to guess, I would guess they are Greek(you could say they are "Greek to me",pun intended).I would guess marks "15"(next to smaller number)likely designate the diameter of the barrel at certain places, expressed in gauge(the number of lead balls of that diameter required to weigh a pound).This would be a slightly overbored 16 ga. I would quess it would likely have 65mm(2 9/16") chambers. The barrels are choked, but the amount of choke in not clear.An action such as this would have likely been advertised as Anson & Deely. Nimrod is a registered trade mark of the German firm T & S, but this gun I believe has nothing to do with them. My guess is in this case, it is the model, named for the biblical hunter Nimrod. Since these are all guesses, I hope someone with superior knowledge will either correct or verify them.
    Mike

Comment

The gun is of basic Anson & Deeley boxlock design, but of very crude execution. The "Nimrod" name was used by several companies in Germany, Austria, Belgium and France, and the head with a winged helmet resembles the Pickert, Zella-Mehlis trademark.
      I have never seen such proofmarks. Found them neither in Gargela & Faktor nor in Wirnsberger, my standard references for foreign/unknown proofmarks. So it isn't from the many countries with known proofmarks.
      I suspect Turkey, Beysehir or Khyber Pass?
      Last edited by Axel E; 02-23-2015, 12:55 PM.

Comment

Looks like Arminius for sure

I don't see an Arsenal or Mosque either surmounted by a star or crown nor encircled by a star/wreath so I don't think it to be Khyber Pass but somewhere that the Brits had influence as the marks seem to mimic their proof protocol. They use numeric sequences.

Some home grown Martini

Cheers,

Raimey
        rse

Comment

You know in this orientation the one on the left somewhat resembles an imperial eagle.

Cheers,

Raimey
          rse

Comment

Thank you for the information, I hope to get more information on this forum.

Comment

Thank you for the information, many people who I asked for this proofmarks say similarly.

Comment

Fear not as we'll keep searching.

Cheers,

Raimey
                rse

Comment

Working...
                X