First muzzleloader buck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First muzzleloader buck

Last day of the PA flintlock primitive season I got this 8 point buck with a recently purchased Jaeger rifle. The rifle was made by a I. G. Dachtine AAIX signed on the lock. I was informed he was a 1750 circa builder and worked at Aix La Chapelle which is also engraved on the lock and Is French for Aachen So I don?t know if this is or was an area in Germany or France as borders changed over the years. It is classic German design of the era which makes it a Germanic gun for me. I have been wanting a nice original Jaeger for my collection for years and have bid on numerous examples at auction but I had my limit on what I would pay. Finally got this one at a local auction. Barrel is 23 3/4? and the length of pull is around 12? so it must have been made for a small person or youth. I had to make a 2? butt extension out of leather so I could shoot it and it shoots great. 60 caliber with a twist rate of 1 in 28?. The deer stopped at 60 yards and only gave me a neck shot so I took it and I hit it just behind the ears breaking the spine. I have been hunting with muzzleloaders for 40 years and have taken game in Africa with a flintlock I built but this is my first white tail buck with one.
    Attached Files

Leatherman,
    Waidmannsheil. You had a ? behind the 23 3/4" barrel length. Some people are leery of uneven barrel lengths, but that is close to 60 cm, which is a common barrel length.
    Mike
    Last edited by mike ford; 01-21-2021, 08:29 PM.

Comment

Nice buck, hunting with 100 plus year old guns is very satisfying. COVID 19 ruined my chances for a Kansas whitetail this year. Looking forward to next season.
      Mike

Comment

I don?t know why but when I type on some sites the question mark appears after some numbers and some letters. It doesn?t appear until I post. It looks like I am questioning everything I say. I cooked some steaks tonight. They were especially good.
        Attached Files

Comment

Xzxzxzxzxzxz
          Last edited by algmule; 01-28-2021, 12:15 PM.

Comment

Your hunt with that rifle will make an excellent article for our magazine

Comment

Working...
            X