My first 7x57

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first 7x57

I recently procured an Mauser 98 made by Willi Karl in Leunenberg Germany in 1940. It has a half octagon and half round barrel 26” long wearing folding 2 leaf rear sight with silver bead front sight. Has a sling swivel silver soldered under the barrel ahead of the stocks schnable forend. It shoots 1 3/4” groups with 139 grain bullets but shoots right around an inch with 175 grain roundnose bullets. I plan on hunting whitetails with it this fall and possibly wild boar this winter. I am excited to use this classic rifle for the purpose she was built for. Can’t figure out how to post pictures yet.

I had a Mauser sporting rifle years ago chambered in 7x57 and a gunsmith told me that these early rifles had the chamber throat bored deeper to engage barrel rifling with the length of the 175 grain round nose soft point bullets. He advised that I would get the best accuracy using these. I did, and it seems that your results reflect similarly. Congratulations on a fine rifle!

Comment

Tommorow is the day finally I get to take the Mauser out hunting. Full report to come after.

Comment

The old girl performed just as she was built to. Took a nice doe whitetail at 40 yards using Sellier & Bellot 140 grain roundnose bullets. Perfect heart shot using the open sights and for my first animal using these bullets I must say I was impressed. Bullet entered behind front leg broke a rib going in and completely destroyed heart and one lung. She only went 40 yards before folding. I really enjoy hunting with these old classic rifles. Next up is my 102 year old remington model 14A in 30 remington.

Comment

Hello

Originally posted by MS9x56 View Post
          Can't figure out how to post pictures yet.
          Save them on your computer hard drive/SmartPhone.

Start a post.

Click upload Attachment chrome_screenshot_1669890846307.png

Pick the image from your hard drive you want post.

Wait a couple of moments until your image is "loaded" to your post.

Pick size
          chrome_screenshot_1669890911072.png
          Post reply.

Peter
          ​​​​​
          Last edited by algmule; 12-01-2022, 09:44 AM.

Comment

Let’s give it a try. It works.EFD47DFB-78FB-4B54-A83F-2442ACC43A89.jpg

Comment

Nice old rifle, well done!! There is assuredly something special when using such fine and classic rifles.

Last year I took the first deer I've killed in probably 10 years with my Johan Peterlongo in 9 X 71 Peterlongo.

Comment

Wow I have never even heard of a 9x71 Peterlongo. Is it a smokeless powder or black powder round. I have taken deer and boar with a 1905 Mannlicher Schoenauer in 9x56 proofed in 1921. As well as a Remington model 14A in 30 remington made in 1920. I love bringing these classic old rifles back to hunting shape and using them in the way they were designed to be used. DE66A8D7-2499-45DB-992B-6D2A976302B8.jpg

Comment

I guess if I had a really expensive guided once in a lifetime hunt, I might want stainless steel and fiberglass, but at my age that’s not going to happen. Nothing like a frosty morning and a hundred year old walnut and blued steel open sighted Mauser or Mannlicher. Congratulations.
                  Mike
                  Attached Files

Comment

Now you are making me drool.

Comment

What is the barrel length on your 7x57?
                      Mike

Comment

26” after hunting with my short barreled full stock rifles it felt unwieldy at first but once in the woods it was never a hinderance.

Comment

Your rifle is very similar to mine except barrel length. I believe mine was 22". I surely miss my old rifle! I found the 7 x 57 to be a very capable deer caliber. Ideal, I would say....

Comment

Originally posted by Joseph D View Post
                            Your rifle is very similar to mine except barrel length. I believe mine was 22". I surely miss my old rifle! I found the 7 x 57 to be a very capable deer caliber. Ideal, I would say....
                            Yes I agree, I am afraid all of mine except the Mannlichers are 8x57.
                            Mike

Comment

Ain’t no moss on the 8x57. Problem was after 2world wars it was never embraced on this side of the pond. I think my next Mauser will be an 8x57 as I have never owned one. I do not own any calibers in more than one gun.

Comment

Working...
                              X