Decisions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decisions

2DF8CB05-53AD-4686-987D-AFD8C2FE83AA.jpg I missed the Kansas deer season in 2020 with Covid, missed 2021 with a foot problem, didn’t walk much farther than the dinner table. This year I am in good health and the season opens November 30. My favorite caliber is 8x57 but I bought a MS MCA in 243 (not a favorite caliber). It is a carbine, I was expecting a light, fast handling rifle, it is a disappointing 8 pounds 14 oz with a small Leupold scope. I can’t decide whether to take it or my open sighted 1933 6 pound 15 oz Mauser sporter 8x57I. I would really like to blood the Mannlicher. It is a boring, cold Saturday that’s why I am posting this.
    Mike
    Attached Files
    Last edited by yamoon; 11-19-2022, 07:02 PM.

Mike,
    What did you decide? Any luck?
    Mike

Comment

Mike
      Season starts November 30. Even though 8x57 is my favorite deer caliber, I am goin with the MCA 243. I haven’t had time to work up a load for the 9.5x57 1910 Mannlicher. I haven’t shot anything with the MCA but paper, I hope to blood it this year. So far chronic wasting disease has not entered the deer population in this part of Kansas. How about Georgia?
      Mike

Comment

Mike,
        I moved home to Alabama in 2004from Georgia but hunted here since coming back from Germany in 1982. Until this year we didn't have any CWD in Alabama. Now there is a little bit in the extreme Northwestern corner of the state. They are trying but it is very difficult to contain it. I'm sure you will blood the MCA this year, even though I kid my friends that shoot 243, it will do the job. Our season started last Saturday morning, but none of us got anything. We always do better after Christmas anyway, because our Rut starts very late.
        Mike

Comment

Mike
          Holts auction yesterday had a Kerstin single shot I really wanted, but to keep peace in the family, I didn’t bid.
          Mike

Comment

Mike,
            I understand that very well. I found out from what happened to some of my friends that it is cheaper to keep the same old woman you have had all these years.
            Mike

Comment

Grown quite fond of this one after 45yrs
              Mike

Comment

Working...
              X