Trying to identify Prussian Daly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to identify Prussian Daly

I am trying to identify a Prussian Charles Daly 12ga SXS. Barrels are marked J.P.Sauer &Sons and Krupp-Essen, side clips, side cocking indicators,double triggers, extractors, fine scroll engraving on top, bottom and sides. I was told it was built about 1890.
    I Have pictures, but do not know how to post them, you can contact me at
    craighaven@gmail.com

thanks
    Craig

Good to see a post in this section. 108xx would date to circa 1904 and may have been in the 1st batch of non-Lindner boxlocks with upper & lower scears that S,D&G imported.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
    rse
    Last edited by ellenbr; 09-24-2012, 06:14 PM.

Comment

Any initials on the tubes forward of the flats to the forend hanger like MM or RS, etc.?

Kind Regards,

Raimey
      rse

Comment

Sauer's Wildmann trademark on the forward lug. I wonder if Lindner or any of his subcontractors added any effort, or, or if any mechanics at Sauer contributed any effort to Lindner's offerings.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
        rse

Comment

Thanks for posting the pics Rainey! No other marks on the barrels except for eagles,ser#,and the 228U, which may be a date stamp.

Craig

Comment

The 228U is either a house number or assembly number. I took a gander and the block of Sauer boxlocks with upper & lower scears with Daly's name may have begun with 106xxx.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
            rse

Comment

The ser# is 106447!

Comment

Schoverling, Daly & Gales imported and cataloged many guns made by Sauer & Sohn. Have a look into Jim Cate's book "J.P. Sauer & Sohn, Suhl-Waffenstadt", pages 223 - 258 show guns similar to this one. On pages 267 - 333 he lists many serial numbers of Sauer - Daly guns, several marked "made in Prussia". The book is available from the GGCA Bookstore on this site, order number B095.
                Last edited by Axel E; 09-24-2012, 08:14 PM.

Comment

Thanks, I will look it up!
                  Craig

Comment

Received and Email from Jim Cates, he says it is a Model 40 built 1911-12, others feel it is 1903-04 production. I am wondering if it was some kind of "special" that was pulled and upgraded.
                    All thoughts are appreciated !
                    Craig

Comment

Has anyone ever seen the Sauer medal inlaid in the front lug of a Daly or Sauer&Sohns shotgun?

Comment

It now appears the gun is possibly a Sauer model 14, search still proceeding.
                        Craig

Comment

Have now seen pictures of a Sauer model 18, with the inlaid medal of the "wildman" on the front lug. The crowns and wildman stamps along with other stamps match up very close on the two barrels.

Best,
                          Craig

Comment

Making some progress, in 1907 Sauer catalog the Model 14 and 17 ,18 appear to be made from the same original forging, but with different sculpting on the back. The cocking indicators match up. Have not found Daly catalogs yet.

Craig

Comment

Yes, I have......except it was not inlaid, it was stamped. The 1912 Sauer catalog indicates the Model 14 is a double barrel shotgun in various gauges; the Model 15 is a Buchsflinte (shotgun/rifle side by side); the Model 16 has 2 sets of barrels (shotgun/rifle, shotgun/shotgun both are side by side barrel arrangements); the Model 17 is a double barrel shotgun made on the same action as all the previous models utilized, but it has ejectors; the Model 18 is the "Meisterwerk" or Masterpiece that was the best of the best, fully engraved, finest checkering, with excellent wood and also having ejectors. And by the way, the Sauer trademark was a Caveman (not a wildman) holding a club which was originally part of the great seal of Prussia. Regards, Jim Cate

Comment

Working...
                              X