No announcement yet.

"SAXONY"-stamped Charles Daly hammerless gun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just a sidebar, but post WWI after the loss of his son in harsh fighting with the Brits, the serialization is that of that specific maker that was tasked with manufacture and has nothing to do with Lindner's serialization. H.A. Lindner might have been a middle-man, but S,D&G, the Daly Gun trademark, are being peddled, consolidated/merged & dissolved on a whim. Most difficult to track in a tumultuous period without the ledgers.

I still contend that your example was conceived in the mid 1880s and completed some time later so for argument's sake, let's concentrate efforts in the 1880s. I guess it is possible that your example might be one of the promotion breechloaders that were made to be used as a demo in target shooting on high seas enroute to NY, where upon the examples were disassembled, cleaned, etc. and peddled as new Daly Breechloaders? Still a lot of ground to cover. Also being quite removed from the data sampling of the W.R. Schaefer examples, I can't say which ones, if any had the APUN stamp. But W.R. Schaefer was an outlet for H&R and R.E. Couchman would have drug him into court if the APUN was not paid. When the APUN was paid for, the frame was sent to Westley Richards, or a satellite stamping station & the APUN was applied.

An 1881 advert of S,D&G displays an image of a hammergun and has W.R. Schaefer of 61 Elm Street, Boston and Thos. L. Golcher of 116 Girard Avenue, Philadephia listed.

Then an 1884 advert of Wm. R. Schaefer & Son of 61 Elm Street, Boston, Mass. notes Schaefer being an agent of Harrington & Richardson Hammerless and the Daly Hammer and Hammerless Breechloading Shot Guns - Choke Boring Guns & Bending Gun Stocks are specialities.

A S,D&G 1889 advert has an image of the early Charles Daly Hammerless with Cartridge Ejectors & has the odd somewhat sqaure or squatted frame sides.

I'm not sure when The Daly Gun was fitted with ejectors but the above 1889 advert makes Cartridge Ejectors an option and that too may narrow the completion date of your Daly Gun.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
    rse

Comment

Saxony Charles Daly

Gentleman, I was very excited to find this thread as I have Charles Daly number 301 with Saxony and 443 and LE stamped on the barrel ahead of the flats. image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

It would appear our guns were made on or near the same time. I was so excited to learn all of this history on a gun I have owned for 4 years and knew nothing about. Any additional information you can provide about these guns is very appreciated!

Comment

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
        In addition I found some text stamped on the underside of the butt plate, I was curious if yours was the same? Also is any of your artwork the same?

Comment

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgSome further pictures for your consideration

Comment

Interesting. Had to just about be in the same batch. So the text is:

H. Silver & Co. P.
            Patent
            Cornhill London
            ????

I would assume the alteration was performed in the U.S. of A.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
            rse

Comment

The best I can tell it reads:

W Silver & CO
              Patent
              Corn hill London

I did locate a company called SW Silver & CO. On the Internet from the same time period that dealt in a wide collection of fire arm accessories, fire arms,belt buckles, military supplies, tents, rubber, and so on. Not sure if this was a repair, or upgrade of some kind or if the company was somehow a supplier of this style of parts to Charles Daly Shotguns.
              I believe this must be the appropriate company and the "S" was cut off as it was fitted to the gun.

Comment

However based on the extra set of holes in the wooden stock I have to assume this was a repair.

Are you familiar with what value is estimated on a piece like this?

Comment

What is stamped atop the top rib? What is the tube type & length & condition of inside of tubes? Is there an APUN stamped between the strikers on the standing breech?

On the LE, I have not found such a mechanic but I would think the first name of L would have about 3 variations:

Lebrecht
                  Lorenz
                  Ludwig

And the last name of E a few more:

Ebert
                  Eckoldt
                  Eckhardt
                  Eckstetin
                  Endter

I would guess that Ebert & Endter would have a higher probability but who knows. So any combination is possible until some LE mechanic is found. Like many of the other subcontractors, I would guess that the mechanic LE hung out his shingle about the same time as H.A. Lindner and may have attended classes with H.A. Lindner at some point.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
                  rse

Comment

Thank you for your consideration

The rib reads:
                    Charles Daly Extra Fine Damascus Barrels Diamond Quality

It is 12 gauge 3 inch with a 30 inch barrel. Inside the tubes are shiny and clean with no visible pitting.

There is no APUN or any other text that I can find.

The action is very tight and it shoots like a dream. ( I know I shouldn't shoot it but I had to try it.).

I bought the gun from a friend of my father in law that used it as his bird gun, he was in his 80s and shot it regularly.

Comment

Working...
                    X