C. Daly Drilling.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C. Daly Drilling.

I have a Charles Daly drilling, hammerless, with the rifle cocking lever on the left side. Could anyone tell me when they started and stopped making this action. I believe that they stopped making this action about 1930 when they came out with the new model action with the selection button on the left side but I'm not sure. I just finished your excellent "Der Waffenschmied" which featured C. Daly Imports. I couldn't find a definitive answer to my question there. While I'm at it, I might as well ask another question: was the rifle-cocking lever a Lefevre patent? Thanks in advance.

Harold

It would be beneficial to see the marks, but the hammer dreilings are typically a Sauer product.

Cheers,

Raimey
    rse

Comment

Hi Raimey!

Yes indeed, it is a Saur action. I assumed (I know, I know) that anyone familiar with Dalys would know that. Sorry. Somewhere around 1930 they changed from the action I have to one that had a selection lever. It's just that I've never found any info on when the company started making the hammerless action with the side lever that cocked the rifle barrel and disengaged the shotgun barrels.

Comment

Though some early Lefever shotguns used such a sidelever merely to cock both locks, Sauer & Sohn patented this sidelever arrangement for drillings with DRPatent # 78411 of 1894. This S&S arrangement not only cocks and uncocks the rifle barrel lock, but also switches the front trigger from shot to rifle barrel and back.
        Sauer & Sohn built sidelock drillings with these sidelevers as their models 24, 25, 26 at least until 1935. All these times, 1894 – 1935, they also offered other drilling designs, with hammers or hammerless. So the sidelever cocking is no hint for closer dating.. See Jim Cate's "J.P.Sauer & Sohn" book, available through the GGCA bookstore on this site.
        A photo of the action area and another of the proofmarks under the barrels are needed to determine the model and allow to date the gun closer. Knowing the S&S serial number would allow an estimate of the year when the gun was started, not necessarily completed.
        Last edited by Axel E; 04-28-2015, 03:25 PM.

Comment

Yes indeed Axel, you are spot on for the DRPatent number. The serial number is 650XX. I hope that helps. While I was just looking for the time frame this action was in production, it would be interesting to know about when this particular action was produced. And yes, I do really appreciate all help given.--Harold

Comment

That number, if it is a Sauer number, dates the gun to about 1898 - 1900.

Comment

Thank you very much Axel!

Comment

Working...
              X