Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charles Daly Prussian ID

Hello,

I too need help to identify this 12 ga. Trap gun. The serial number is 26068. Any help is appreciated.

Regards,

Johnnie

Johnnie,
    Others on this Forum are much more knowledgeable than I about these guns. However, as a general rule, to help you they will need photos, including of all the proof and other markings found under the barrel.
    Mike

Comment

Thanks

Originally posted by mike ford View Post
      Johnnie,
      Others on this Forum are much more knowledgeable than I about these guns. However, as a general rule, to help you they will need photos, including of all the proof and other markings found under the barrel.
      Mike
      Hey Mike,

Thanks for the heads-up. I will get some pictures today.

Regards,

Johnnie

Comment

Originally posted by JYS View Post
        Hey Mike,

Regards,

Johnnie
        As promised;
        action engraving serial number.jpgreceiver stampings.jpgstampings in front of barrel lug.jpgserial number barrel and fore grip.jpgstamping barrel breach.jpg

Comment

Hey Mike,

Regards,

Johnnie
          As promised;
          action engraving serial number.jpgreceiver stampings.jpgstampings in front of barrel lug.jpgserial number barrel and fore grip.jpgstamping barrel breach.jpgstamping barrel receicer strong side.jpg
          Last edited by JYS; 01-03-2016, 06:01 PM. Reason: added picture

Comment

JYS,
            As I said in my earlier post, others here know more about these guns than I, but until they post something, here is a little info. The gun was proofed in Dec 1930( 1230) and has a 2 3/4" 12 ga chamber, whereas if it were made for German rather than US sale, it would have likely been 2 5/8"(shown by the 12-70, if short chambered it wouldn't have the 70). The crown S means it was proofed for shot. The crown U is the view proof, which is a detailed inspection. If one of the marks that I can't make out is a crown W, that means that barrel is choked. The amount of choke is not shown by the mark. It looks very nice to me, by the way.
            Mike

Comment

JYS,
              As I said in my earlier post, others here know more about these guns than I, but until they post something, here is a little info. The gun was proofed in Dec 1930( 1230) and has a 2 3/4" 12 ga chamber, whereas if it were made for German rather than US sale, it would have likely been 2 5/8"(shown by the 12-70, if short chambered it wouldn't have the 70). The crown S means it was proofed for shot. The crown U is the view proof, which is a detailed inspection. If one of the marks that I can't make out is a crown W, that means that barrel is choked. The amount of choke is not shown by the mark. It looks very nice to me, by the way.
              Mike
              Hey Mike,

Thanks for the information. I had the gun restored by Kip Wood @ Central Michigan Gunsmithing. Over the years someone had changed the forearm to a beaver tail forearm. So Kip replaced it with a correct forearm, re-blued the barrel, refreshed the Case Hardening with bone charcoal and checked the action. His work speaks for itself.

Johnnie

Comment

Johnnie, The case coloring looks great. The polishing and bluing of the barrels is likely why I couldn't make out some of the marks. Maybe someone that knows more than I will finally chime in.
                Mike

Comment

Johnnie, The case coloring looks great. The polishing and bluing of the barrels is likely why I couldn't make out some of the marks. Maybe someone that knows more than I will finally chime in.
                  Mike
                  Hey Mike,

I will see if I can get better pictures. I can see the crown W that you spoke of. A friend of mine says that the 12/30 is 12/80 with the inside of the eight and zero were not flush to the barrel. Is there a way to know the year by the serial number? Let me know what you think.

Regards,

Johnnie

Comment

Mike
                    Hey Mike,

I will see if I can get better pictures. I can see the crown W that you spoke of. A friend of mine says that the 12/30 is 12/80 with the inside of the eight and zero were not flush to the barrel. Is there a way to know the year by the serial number? Let me know what you think.

Regards,

Johnnie

Comment

Johnnie,
                      Absent factory records of the manufacturer( not ID here), serial numbers are not a reliable way to determine date of manufacture. A manufacture date of Dec 1930, would be consistent with the proof marks, but Dec 1980 would not.
                      Mike

Comment

Hey Mike,

Regards,

Johnnie
                        Hello All, This is an enhanced picture of the barrel stampings.barrel stampings 2.jpg
                        Last edited by JYS; 01-05-2016, 07:21 PM.

Comment

Johnnie,
                          Absent factory records of the manufacturer( not ID here), serial numbers are not a reliable way to determine date of manufacture. A manufacture date of Dec 1930, would be consistent with the proof marks, but Dec 1980 would not.
                          Mike
                          Hey Mike,
                          Sam says that he was thinking 1880 not 1980. I read a post mentioning Griffin & Howe. Do they offer an ID service? Let me know.

Regards,

Johnnie

Comment

Johnnie,
                            Mike
                            Hey Mike,
                            Sam says that he was thinking 1880 not 1980. I read a post mentioning Griffin & Howe. Do they offer an ID service? Let me know.

Regards,

Johnnie

Comment

I'm very inclined to agree with Mike, that's "12/30". There would be no proofs were it 1880, at least not those proofs. It sure looks as if it could have been an "8" but I just don't think so. Another thing is that after 1945 I believe Prussia ceased to exist.

Comment

Working...
                              X