Rim recess

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rim recess

Question about System Adyt. Is there a rim recess in the chamber, or does the rim rest against the barrel when the action is closed?
    thanks Mike

yamon,
    As a general rule, you can tell if a rifle has a rim recess by inspecting the rear of the barrel and extractor; if it does, it will be obvious. As a side note, if 8.15x46R cartridges ( many Adyts are chambered for this cartridge) are made from 30-30 cases, the rim usually must be altered to fit the rim recess; sometimes it must be thinned, sometimes the diameter must be reduced, often both , and only infrequently do they require no modification. This could cause some confusion of whether or not a rim recess is present.
    Mike

Comment

Mike
      There is no rim recess and the action will not close on a RWS 8.15x46 case. I have a suspicion this rifle was put together from parts & never finished. See my post 2 better than1.
      Thanks Mike

Comment

yamoon,
        It may have been "put together", I have no way of knowing since I haven't seen it. Since you have it "in hand", your judgment is certainly better than mine. The barrel has the number 16477 on it, does the action have this number, or 477, or 77 on the body or any of the parts? If it does, the barrel is likely the original one, if there are different numbers it is likely not, if there are no numbers there is no way to know. After deciding about the barrel, you should color( I use smoke) a sized case and see if the action will close on it. If not, see where the interference is. If the interference is only at the rim/case head, then the problem is likely the rim recess( or lack thereof) as you surmised. If it closes, I suspect a case fired in a larger chamber was used for the first test. If the barrel came from a different action and was "faced off" at the tenon to fit the action, then it should show interference at the neck/shoulder area as well as case head. If so, it will have to be rechambered.
        Mike

Comment

On my Aydt there's no rim recess. Closing the action can be tight with some cases, I have to ensure the primer is really flush with the rim. I am shooting 3 rifles chambered for 8.15X46R , one Martini, one bolt action, and the Aydt. I cannot use the same cartridges for the Aydt as for the other two. Thinner rim and slighly smaller caliber.

Comment

Thanks for the information, I have several 8.15 x46 rifles & I find brass used in one may not chamber in a different one. I recently purchased a lot of 2 rifles, I wanted the system Concurrenz, an Adyt was included. The Adyt is not much, I am deciding weather to put time in it to make a shooter.
            Mike

Comment

Working...
            X