Werndl Schuetzen Any hope

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Werndl Schuetzen Any hope

Hi folks, new member with first post, depressing as it is. I recently acquired this pitiful piece that was once someone’s pride and joy but it has seen some tough times.
    I did a search but found no mention of Werndl or the gunsmith/barrel markings Jos Gasser Kufstein
    Think there is any hope of finding parts to complete it without buying complete rifle ? Stock was repaired long ago but has fallen apart again. Have trigger guard and double triggers but need complete side plate.

Pics are pretty clear if you click on them to full resolution.

85D8D690-646A-4606-9A8B-6A84FF9DCF4E.jpeg 4874F97F-7A86-4BC1-BCF4-92BFFAC0F213.jpeg CB823C88-D0B4-4E1F-8D12-9DBF7DC22327.jpeg 8F953CAF-D0FC-4E71-B46B-120788A06EB5.jpeg 93C381CD-6C3D-4751-9819-2CFC725C1C8A.jpeg
    Last edited by 55210; 08-31-2022, 01:04 AM.

Your rifle is very interesting, and I am one that believes in saving these old warriors, if possible. I don't know how old you are now, but you may be pretty old when the rifle is finished. I have a few such projects that have been around many years. For whatever it is worth to you, I advise you to carefully save all the scraps and splinters of the stock now. You can make or have someone make a new stock any time. Now is the only time you can preserve the original stock with the original carving. Werndl is a pretty well- known name and the Werndl rifle was (I believe) the last Austrian Military single shot rifle. If yours is the military size, you might be able to find a lock from antique parts dealers. If it is one of the smaller sizes finding the lock will be harder. If you obtained the rifle from someone you know, you should ask them to look again for any parts. I did this for one of my projects and was able to retrieve a couple important parts. Also, if any are found it is unlikely that they will charge additional money for them. Gasser is a known name and Kufstein is a city in Austria, famous for Lead Crystal. I had to take my wife there from Germany many years ago. When we returned, my car was loaded with Italian rocks (alabaster and marble) and Austrian glass. My late friend and mentor had a Werndl that was chambered for (I believe) 11x58R. If yours is chambered for a similar large cartridge, it may be the large action. If chambered for a smaller cartridge, it is not likely the large action. You already have the rifle, don't let my comments scare you off.
    Mike

Comment

Hello
      From August 1893.

chrome_screenshot_1661896328402.png ​​​​​

Don't know if image is readable. Click image, please. There were several Gasser:s from Kufstein. Josef seems to have been an avid contender in shooting matches. Johann another.

I believe I see German crown G coupled with a German eagle. Could be wrong, though. Also: I agree with Mike Ford.

I saw your post in the New Members Forum. Please do a clean up and post images. Thank you for posting and welcome.

EDIT: image turned out rubbish. Sorry. I may try again.

chrome_screenshot_1661898847507.png
      chrome_screenshot_1661898922667.png
      chrome_screenshot_1661898992083.png

Another EDIT: didn't turn out better. Tomorrow is another day.......
      Peter
      Last edited by algmule; 08-30-2022, 10:49 PM. Reason: Struggling with images.

Comment

Peter,
        You are not wrong it does have the German Proof for a single projectile (Bullet).
        Mike

Comment

Only rear sight base remains. Guess internals would be universal to the earlier external hammer Werndls But Muzzle diameter is 9mm. I don’t have any chamber cast.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by 55210; 08-31-2022, 10:55 PM.

Comment

Hello
            Trying again. From 1902.
            chrome_screenshot_1661946059220.png

EDIT: I give in. What the ad says is that Josef Gasser had an establishment peddling sewing machines. He did use the title B?chsenmacher but how much effort he put into the rifles he sold may be debatable.

Peter
            Last edited by algmule; 08-31-2022, 12:04 PM.

Comment

Being about 9mm doesn't bode well for finding parts, but if you can find someone with a military rifle they might agree to make a couple measurements for comparison.
              Mike

Comment

Worse case, you could turn the butt stock into a piece of sculpture for your man cave.
                Mike

Comment

Working...
                X