10x52 Lorenz??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10x52 Lorenz??

I have purchased a J.D. Moritz Leipzig Schuetzen that appears to be chambered in 10x52 Lorenz. I am having the chamber casting checked by CH Tool and Die as they may have dies for this caliber. Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas on loads? Any thoughts on a parent case from which to form the proper cartridge? I'm assuming it's a black powder round and the bore diameter (groove or widest part) appears to be approx 9.7mm. It's a system Martini and everything appears to be in very good condition, including the interesting left-handed stock. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

On a separate note, any thoughts on sources for Berdan primers for 8.15x46 European cases? Looking at an 8.15x46 rifle as well and will need some help on loads and component availability.

I guess my question is why are you wanting to source hard to find berdan primers with so much 8.15x46 boxer primed brass available. Just wondering.
    Mike

Comment

plindquist,
      The 10x52R Lorenz was a Mauser Base (MB) cartridge, which means it was based on the 11.15x60R Mauser (aka 43 Mauser, or 11mm Mauser) case. You can find this case listed, but usually "not in stock". I make similar cases from 45-70 cases by deforming the rims forward and die forming them. The 45-70 cases are a little short, but not enough to make using 45-90 cases worth the difference in cost. Berdan primers of any size are very hard to find now and those of us that have a stock of them are not likely to let any go. Original 8.15x46R cases used the .256" M71 primer but more modern Berdan primed cases used the .217" primer. Current production cases likely use .210" Boxer primers, as indicated by yamoon. I make 8.15x46R cases from 30-30 cases. To fit most rifles, the 30-30 rims must be modified, often requiring thinning as well as reducing the diameter. The mentioned thinning often removes the 30-30 headstamp, leaving a clean case without a confusing headstamp, but with enough head thickness.
      Mike

Comment

Thanks guys - the Berdan primer question came up as I received probably 50 fired cases from a friend for the 8.15x46 that are berdan primed - figured it was worth asking. I'd love to find some brass but so far, as Mike noted, it's kind of like unobtainium.....not real popular here so whatever was out there has been sold. So for the 10x52, if I can find 43 Mauser cases, I presume I can form these down with the appropriate dies - working on that at the moment in terms of getting a definitive identification of the correct round from the chamber casting that was done.....we'll see what turns up and where I go from here. One thing for sure, as cool as these old rifles are, there's something to be learned from every one of them. I seem to have a real talent for finding the weird one-offs..... I'll be back, no doubt with more questions as I get more information on this Moritz and it's proper cartridge - appreciate you all responding to my "newbie" questions!

Comment

plindquist,
          If you can find 43 Mauser cases, you can, indeed, form them into 10x52R cases. If you compare the price of the Mauser cases to 45-70 cases, you will see why I form similar cases from 45-70.

Comment

Working...
          X