Unknown German drilling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pictures
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

Pictures of Collath

Comment

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
        This gallery has 5 photos.

Comment

Hello

Originally posted by Meinherr View Post
          The shotguns barrels are marked Wittner Excelsior but there is no N proof marks just a U with a crown on top and an eagle proof mark.
          I see a Nitro-marking (uncertain where on the Drilling it sits). The rifle barrel wears a marking crown N. Rifle barrel is Krupp steel. Tesco was trademark of Teschner & Collath.

Peter

Comment

The rifle barrel is proofed with 7/7 and 72(7,7/ 72), this is consistent with 8x72R and 8.1x72R Collath. Some of the marks are not legible due to a high polish, reflections, a cursor included in a photo obscuring a string of numbers which are also upside down. Two markings are for steel jacketed bullet( St.m.G.) and what seems to be a crown n and what may be a " washed out" larger crown; both of which would indicate nitro proof (the steel jacketed bullet only indicates this because a black powder proof would be with a lead bullet (Bl.). The high polish on the barrel is a concern; without proof I think they may have been re-blued with "hot salts" blue, and the solder joints may be affected. This would have to be verified by an "in hand" examination.
            Mike

Comment

Thankyou very much

Comment

Hello

Uneccesary information as it says Witten on the Drilling. Trademark Gussstahlwerk Witten

011.jpg

Also

014.jpg

To me there is no doubt that the encircled marking is crown N. As Mike pointed out, The St.m.G. also indicates Nitro proof.

015.jpg

The SS (if that is what it is) to the right, second image, may be for Stephan Schilling. To my knowledge no one has been able to confirm this. Mere speculation so far. Besides, there were two Stephan (sometimes Stefan) Schilling in Suhl. Active at the same time. Both with the same title. If SS is for one of the Stephan Schillings it would mean the rifle barrel originated out of Suhl. Or so I believe.

Peter
                Last edited by algmule; 03-23-2024, 01:01 PM. Reason: Missing word

Comment

I checked the Collath book and it appears that the Collath 20 gauge measurement is not the same as our modern 20 g shell. Is that correct?

Comment

I believe that is correct, you might have to use whatever is closest and still chamber.
                    Mike

Comment

My unknown 16g 8X57JR drilling is undergoing a restoration but the horn butt plate shows wear and tiny holes perhaps by insects. Any suggestions on restoring the butt plate and fixing holes as I am concerned it might crack and break apart?
                      Thanks
                      Doug

Comment

Meinherr,
                        You might contact Dutchman Wood Works. They advertise in the trade directory of WAIDMANNSHEIL.
                        Mike

Comment

Working...
                        X