No announcement yet.

My first 7x57

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Orberndorf model B was built with a 20 inch part octagon barrel. It barks pretty loud, Proofed in 1912. I like 8x57 but intend to own a 7x57 when I find one I like and can afford. Would like a 6.5x57 also.
    Mike

Comment

I was suprized when I found a 7x57 before an 8 mm seeing has how more 98’s were made in 8mm than 7x57 mm.

Comment

Originally posted by MS9x56 View Post
        Wow I have never even heard of a 9x71 Peterlongo. Is it a smokeless powder or black powder round. I have taken deer and boar with a 1905 Mannlicher Schoenauer in 9x56 proofed in 1921. As well as a Remington model 14A in 30 remington made in 1920. I love bringing these classic old rifles back to hunting shape and using them in the way they were designed to be used. DE66A8D7-2499-45DB-992B-6D2A976302B8.jpg
        Nothing like being a month late....

I'm doing this from memory so any mistakes are unintentional. Johann Peterlongo was a maker in Innsbruk who developed a line of quite powerful cartridges based on a 71mm case. I think the 9 X 71 was introduced about 1919. For the 9 X 71, think 35 Whelen on steroids. However, I'm shooting a 200 gr. cast bullet at about 1900 fps. I did work up a 200 gr. jacketed load at 2550 fps. and there's room to go higher but I can't imagine why a fella would want to. I have a picture but can't find it. Some stateside dolt ground off the rear octagon part of the barrel, removed the rib, added a white line spacer and recoil pad and a Lyman receiver sight.....which required a taller front sight. The dolt did a good job as it took me a couple months to figure out what was done. I don't know if it was ever fired after that work was done because I had to make the brass from 9.3 X 74R and work up the loads. I doubt the previous owner ran down to the local Mom and Pop sporting goods store and bought ammo.

Comment

Working...
        X