No announcement yet.

Charles Daly Prussian ID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As the lettering "Nitro" and the other marks show, it was proofed in Suhl from 1912 to 1934, so December 1930 is it. The incomplete "heart" shape may be the mark of Emil Kerner & Sohn, Suhl, stamped upside down? But I can not identify it positively, it may be another Suhl gunmaker active in 1930.

Comment

Originally posted by sharps4590 View Post
      I'm very inclined to agree with Mike, that's "12/30". There would be no proofs were it 1880, at least not those proofs. It sure looks as if it could have been an "8" but I just don't think so. Another thing is that after 1945 I believe Prussia ceased to exist.
      I believe that Hitler did away with the Prussian Government around 1933.

Originally posted by Axel E View Post
      As the lettering "Nitro" and the other marks show, it was proofed in Suhl from 1912 to 1934, so December 1930 is it. The incomplete "heart" shape may be the mark of Emil Kerner & Sohn, Suhl, stamped upside down? But I can not identify it positively, it may be another Suhl gunmaker active in 1930.
      My thanks to everyone for your help. I really appreciate you all.

Regards,

Johnnie

Comment

Originally posted by sharps4590 View Post
        I'm very inclined to agree with Mike, that's "12/30". There would be no proofs were it 1880, at least not those proofs. It sure looks as if it could have been an "8" but I just don't think so. Another thing is that after 1945 I believe Prussia ceased to exist.
        I believe that Hitler did away with the Prussian Government around 1933.

With more research I find that you are correct as Prussia ceased to exist "de facto" in 1945.

From Wikipedia The Kingdom of Prussia was thus abolished in favor of a republic—the Free State of Prussia, a state of Germany from 1918 until 1933. From 1933, Prussia lost its independence as a result of the Prussian coup, when the Nazi regime was successfully establishing its "Gleichschaltung" laws in pursuit of a unitary state. With the end of the Nazi regime, the division of Germany into allied-occupation zones and the separation of its territories east of the Oder–Neisse line, which were incorporated into Poland and the Soviet Union, the State of Prussia ceased to exist de facto in 1945.[2][3] Prussia existed de jure until its formal liquidation by the Allied Control Council Enactment No. 46 of 25 February 1947. FWIW

Originally posted by Axel E View Post
        My thanks to everyone for your help. I really appreciate you all. A special thanks to Mike for staying with me on identifying this shotgun.

Regards,

Johnnie
        Last edited by JYS; 01-13-2016, 07:54 PM.

Comment

Correct in that the proof date is December of 1930. Heartesk stamp is that of Wilhelm Kelber and more than likely sourced from Gebrüder Adamy.

Cheers,

Raimey
          rse

Comment

Working...
          X